5 movies for anti-horror folks

ghostbusterswrap

October nights mean it’s getting chilly out, houses are decked out with orange lights and jack-o-lanterns, and it’s the perfect time to cuddle up inside with a good movie. For some of us, the kitschy, spookiness of Halloween has a much bigger appeal than marathoning the 'Paranormal Activity' movies and laying in bed scared stiff with the lights on all night. If you love this time of year, but you don’t see the appeal of ghosts and gore, here are five movies you can marathon this fall.

Hocus Pocus

This is a Halloween classic — if you didn’t grow up with it, it’s still funny now! Max Dennison moves from Los Angeles to Salem with his family, and somehow in the midst of taking his little sister trick-or-treating and trying to impress a girl, he accidentally resurrects a trio of witches who were hung during the Salem witch trials. It’s a hilarious movie that’s a must-watch no matter how old you are.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

You can watch this during Halloween or Christmas, but it’s definitely spooky enough to feel cozy on an autumn night. This Tim Burton musical is timeless. It’s an animated movie about Jack Skellington, a resident of “Halloween Town” who stumbles into the magic of Christmas and tries to make it his own.

The Skeleton Twins

This isn’t exactly a Halloween movie, but the gorgeous scenery of autumn in Nyack, New York is enough for anyone to want to move there for those three months per year. Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader are amazing in this dark comedy/drama, especially since we’re so used to seeing them in Saturday Night Live.

Ghostbusters

There’s the 1984 classic starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, or the 2016 remake with Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. The reboot is definitely worth a watch if you didn’t catch it over the summer.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Definitely not for children, but also not scary if you’re skittish. Rather than snuggling under the covers for this one, look out for showings in your area. This cult film is shown with a live cast a lot of the time, incorporating audience participation. Look out for it at Rutgers Cinema this Sunday, Oct. 30.

Susmita Paruchuri