Find out what's in your pumpkin spice latte

With the autumn season upon us, and Starbuck's PSL back on the shelves, find out what ingredients are in your favorite drink. – Photo by Photo Illustration by Nelson Morales

Last month, Starbucks reintroduced their most popular seasonal drink — the pumpkin spice latte. It is available in over 50 countries around the world.

The drink is composed of milk, brewed espresso, whipped cream, "pumpkin spice sauce" and a pumpkin spice topping.

A tall drink has 39 grams of sugar, 240 milligrams of salt and 75 milligrams of caffeine, according to Starbucks's website. 

And Studies have found that salt can trigger the nerve cells in a similar way that cocaine does, giving the body an intense rush of dopamine. High doses of carbohydrates, such as sugar, have also been found to be related to food addiction. In a liquid form, the sugars are absorbed very quickly giving a quick "sugar high." 

The flavors associated with the latte, such as sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, are strong flavor enhancers, making them much more enjoyable to the consumer. Consuming the latte in the fall helps the brain associate its flavor with the autumn season, so consuming it at another time might bring memories of those fall feelings back. 

Caffeine is also highly addictive, having been called the "most commonly used mood-altering drug in the world" by the Behavioral Biology Research Center at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

The drink has many addicting components to it, but like everything, enjoying it in moderation is the key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.