WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Sept. 30, 2016

laurels_and_darts

FRUITS OF THE COMMUNITY'S LABOR

New Brunswick used to be a food desert where there was limited access to fruits and vegetables. Although that might've been just a few years ago, times have changed and the New Brunswick now has a community food co-op. The community farmer's market in New Brunswick pops up every week in different locations and accepts Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Women, Infants and Children (WIC) and senior’s farmer's market nutrition program vouchers at the stands. We laurel the market for providing healthy food to nourish community.

PARTNERS IN FOOTBALL AND CRIME

Former Rutgers football player Tejay Johnson will be going on trial for three robbery charges and one aggravated assault from a robbery that occurred in April 2015 when he and two other masked men (another was also a football player) forced their way into houses to steal money and marijuana. Johnson was a successful football player who was on track to finish college and have a bright future — but he threw it away. We dart the derelict actions of football players, especially breaking into people's homes and committing robbery.

CREAM OF THE CROP

A Douglass alumna is returning to the University. Mary E. O'Dowd was the former health commissioner for Gov. Chris Christie's (R-N.J.) administration, and she implemented several improvements in New Jersey during her tenure, such as the increased breastfeeding rates and expanding a hospital-based screening program for undetected illnesses. We laurel her return to Rutgers as the executive director of Health Systems and Population Health Integration.

TAKING AN UBER OR LYFT TO CLASS?

We wouldn't be Rutgers University without the quintessential Rutgers problem: Rutgers buses. Students are packed into buses like sardines, they come infrequently and this semester they're worse than ever. The construction of the Yard has made that area a focal point for community activities, and buses like the LX, EE, F, A and H are congested around the Scott Hall bus stop. We dart the University's inability to ameliorate the bus issues.

DE-ESCALATING CONFLICT AND ESCALATING TOLERANCE

A town hall meeting regarding race in America facilitated crucial conversations about police force and civilian engagement. Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) Chief Kenneth Cop with other administrators discussed safety concerns and the importance of implementing body cameras, deconfliction and de-escalation training and maintaining a diverse workforce. We laurel how these well-needed conversations are taking place.

BURY THE HATCHET

It's never a good scenario when two people — one with a machete and one with a hand gun — are on University territory. Well it happened on the Livingston campus, and it was terrifying. The one with the hand gun shot a shot at a passing vehicle and the two individuals, unaffiliated with the University were eventually arrested by RUPD. We dart the crazy people wielding dangerous weapons on our campus.