Are students considering the Supreme Court in Tuesday's election?

election2016

The next president of the United States may select up to four new justices on the Supreme Court.

With the Senate's continuing to block the confirmation of Judge Merrick Garland, President Barack Obama’s Supreme Court justice nominee following the death of Associate Justice Antonin Scalia, the responsibility may fall on the shoulders of the next president.

The Supreme Court currently has eight justices and under the Judiciary Act of 1869 is supposed to have nine.

The future of the Supreme Court is depends on the upcoming election results, said Nour Seleem, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore.

“Obviously gay marriage is really important, and if those court decisions were overturned it would bring America backwards, and as a developed country, is embarrassing in the international community,” she said.

Seleem said upholding of the Roe v. Wade decision is important because a woman’s body is her own and should not be affected by the federal government.

She said the future of the Supreme Court and landmark cases has had an impact on her voting stance.

Apart from the current vacancy, Congress may have to consider up to three more nominations. Supreme Court justices retire at the median age of 78.7 years old, and today there are three current justices over or near that age.

“The nomination of liberal judges doesn’t necessarily make or break my decision, but I guess it reaffirms my decision,” said Ryan Brandt, a School of Arts and Sciences junior.

The decision of the Supreme Court justices is crucial because the Constitution’s meaning should not change, said Brandon Chesner, School of Arts and Sciences first-year student.

“It's a fixed legal document with fixed rights and any person who believes the rights bestowed to us can be altered is not competent enough to decide who shall interpret it,” he said.

The Supreme Court plays a large role in determining who to vote for, said Dylan Marek, School of Arts and Sciences first-year student.

He said he supports a candidate who will protect the life of the unborn and protect the Second Amendment, as well as the rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

“It's certainly (a) motivating and important (issue) for me,” he said.

This article is part of The Daily Targum's 2016 election coverage. For a full list of articles, click here

The Eagleton Institute of Politics has released a full list of candidates running in New Jersey municipalities. Click here for more.

Chloe Dopico is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. She is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum.

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.