Assailant in knock-out punch incident to not face charges

19310_crime_blotterf

The man who knocked a 19-year-old unconscious at a party off campus on Oct. 29 will face no charges, New Jersey 101.5 reported.

Emily Rand, of South Amboy, visited Rutgers during Halloween weekend, and was involved in a physical altercation on Hamilton Street that took place around 1 a.m., according to a crime alert sent out to students and staff.

After an investigation, New Brunswick Police Captain J.T. Miller told New Jersey 101.5 there will not be any arrests or charges made.

“We’ve finished our investigation and interviewed the individual you see in the video, as well as a lot of other people,” he said. “It’s a mutually exclusive fight between the individuals.”

A 10-second video recorded on Snapchat circulated on social media, showing Rand throwing a punch at a man, then being punched and subsequently hitting her head on the sidewalk. The Middlesex County College student was knocked unconscious.

“There is evidence that she was aggressive towards other people before the video starts,” Miller said.

He said the police department knew who they were looking for and the man was not hiding from the police.

Chris Rand, Emily Rand’s sister, identified the man as Dan Murray after identification from family members and friends who were there.

He said pressing charges was not up to him, but up to their aunt, Debbie O’Connor, and Emily Rand.

Still, Chris Rand said he knows karma will come around.

“Life has strange ways of paying people back for doing wrong,” Chris Rand said. “It’s in God’s hands.”

Emily’s health has steadily improved after staying at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital since the altercation, according to Facebook posts. 

“The breathing tube is out, she is breathing on her own. She is starting to move around,” her brother said. “Great news actually.”

Emily Rand was in a coma and went under a procedure to remove a piece of her skull to relieve pressure from her swollen brain.

O’Connor wrote in a Facebook post that Emily Rand will start physical or occupational therapy today or tomorrow, and will be going to a rehabilitation center soon. She has been following more commands as well, such as nodding her head and smiling.

“I am ecstatic,” Chris Rand said. “I knew Emily had it in her.”

Sophie Nieto-Munoz is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and Italian. She is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum. You can find her on Twitter @snietomunoz for more.

Sophie Nieto-Munoz