Former Rutgers student charged for business school stabbing

business

The Rutgers University Police Department identified Joshua S. Thompson, 25, of Mountainside, N.J., as the attacker in last Friday's stabbing incident. He allegedly stabbed two others before being taken into custody. 

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) identified a suspect in the stabbings that occurred on Friday in the Rutgers Business School on Livingston campus in Piscataway.

Former student Joshua S. Thompson, 25, of Mountainside, New Jersey, is in custody and has been charged with two counts of attempted murder, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon. 

The weapon is identified as knives, according to an email sent to students and faculty on Monday.

Antonio Calcado, executive vice president of Strategic Planning and Operations, said in an email Saturday that the incident involved two members of the Rutgers community and a former student.

Thompson was transported to the hospital for self-inflicted injuries, according to another email sent Saturday by RUPD Capt. Paul Fischer. The other two victims were transported to a local hospital for treatment sustained during the attack.

Calcado said the safety and security of the Rutgers community is a paramount concern. RUPD arrived to the scene quickly and a text alert was issued to the Rutgers—New Brunswick community when the incident occurred.

A second text alert was issued when the suspect was taken into custody and the community was no longer in danger.

The Division of Student Affairs also made grief counseling available on-scene following the incident.

Calcado said this was an isolated incident, and that he will provide more information to the community as it becomes available.

“I look forward to our working together to keep Rutgers a safe, vibrant and secure learning community,” he said.

RUPD is still actively investigating this incident and urges those with information to call (848) 932-8025.

Sophie Nieto-Munoz is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and Italian. She is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum. You can find her on Twitter @snietomunoz for more.

Sophie Nieto-Munoz