Republican candidate Donald Trump secures presidency

trump_wiki

Wikimedia Commons | Businessman Donald Trump (R.) won the presidency on Tuesday night.

With 276 electoral votes but 167,643 fewer popular votes, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump secured the the title of president of the United States on Tuesday night.

The business mogul launched his candidacy last June, declaring that he would “Make America Great Again.” He intends to decrease the number of jobs that are outsourced, improve the economy and help middle-class workers with both job and financial security.

“It is time for us to come together as one united people. It’s time," he said during his victory speech. 

Trump ran on a platform of securing America's borders against undocumented immigrants and potential terrorists, reorganizing trade deals with China, pulling the United States out of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and ending the Affordable Care Act.

The most important impact Trump will have is on the Supreme Court of the United States. The governing body has only had eight justices after Associate Justice Antonin Scalia passed away earlier this year.

In recent years, the court released several historic decisions, notably one declaring homosexual marriage the law of the land, a position Trump opposes.

Earlier this year, he released two lists of potential Supreme Court justices, should sitting President Barack Obama’s nominee, Judge Merrick Garland, not be confirmed before January. They include a variety of District Court and Appeals Court judges, some state-level Supreme Court justices and at least one Senator.

In naming specific people as potential justices, Trump departed from tradition, as he did in many aspects of his campaign. He saw several managers take command of his campaign and access to his Twitter account was revoked by his campaign staff in the final days of the election.

The Dow Jones industrial average fell 200 points in two hours after Trump won several key states, including Ohio and Florida. The effects might be temporary, with the fall resulting from initial surprise that the Republican candidate was leading.

Stock markets fell during the United Kingdom’s “Brexit” vote a few months ago, but have since rebounded. It is possible that the market will rebound over the next few months, as America transitions from an Obama presidency.

Trump will also be in charge of negotiating or renegotiating several diplomatic efforts Obama started, including the Iran Deal and the opening of borders with Cuba.

Trump’s campaign was embroiled in controversy from its beginning, with him announcing that he would push for a border wall between the United States and Mexico, and force the U.S.’s southern neighbor to pay for it.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best,” he said at his campaign’s kickoff. “They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

At various points during his campaign, he announced that he would ban all Muslims from the nation. He said Muslims celebrated 9/11, that the Pope was “disgraceful” and insulted Senator John McCain as war prisoner.

Recently, he was accused of being part of a Russian conspiracy to throw America into chaos, with various groups suggesting that the Democratic National Committee was hacked by Russian agents to discredit them in the eyes of voters.

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange said the organization, which released many of these emails, did not have any ties to Russia.

The president-elect defeated 16 other Republican candidates during the nation’s primaries, winning many states by double-digits. Though several of these political veterans pledged allegiance to him, Gov. John Kasich (R-Ohio) was one of the few challengers who did not.

Trump faced opposition from his own party even after the primaries had concluded, in part due to various remarks that surfaced over the last few months of the election. House Majority Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has denounced Trump repeatedly, but continued to endorse him.

In an open letter during the closing days of the campaign, Ryan told his supporters to vote for Trump.

Tuesday night, Trump won most of the midwestern and southern states, along with the swing states of Ohio, Florida and Iowa.

Nikhilesh De is the news editor of The Daily Targum. He is a School of Engineering senior. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.

Nikhilesh De