Rutgers explains this week's registration issues

webreggeorgettestillman
Photo by Georgette Stillman |

Photo Illustration | Students experienced difficulties registering for classes on Sunday and Monday night due to two different errors with the WebReg system.

The Rutgers Web Registration (WebReg) system suffered from two errors this week, impacting student registration on Sunday and Monday, said University Director Frank Reda in an email. 

The Office of Information Technology dealt with two issues this week. The first was a capacity issue that impacted performance, and the other was a coding error, he said. 

"On Sunday, Oct. 30, some students experienced degraded performance when using WebReg. This was related to the high initial demand at the 10 p.m. opening of registration," he said. "OIT was actively monitoring the situation, and a configuration change helped to remediate the issue by 10:15 p.m."

The coding issue impacted students with more than 100 credits on Monday, but the issue was resolved by 10:45 p.m., he said. Students were able to register again after that point.

"The Office of Information Technology and the Registrar’s Office will continue to monitor the WebReg process every night for the remainder of the demand registration period, as always, and will deal with any issues that arise as expediently as possible," he said. "We apologize for the inconvenience this caused students who were attempting to register during these time periods."

Nikhilesh De is the news editor of The Daily Targum. He is a School of Engineering senior. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.

Nikhilesh De