WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Nov. 18, 2016

laurels_and_darts

COME TOGETHER FOR COMMUNICATIONS

The Association for Women in Communications (AWC) is a Rutgers organization that looks to encourage women in their growth and development in the communications field. AWC makes it its mission to help create connections between students and professionals in the historically dominated industry. We laurel the AWC for advocating for the advancement of women in this field.

PEE WHERE YOU WANT

A recent debate at the University about the North Carolina law that prevents transgender individuals from using public restrooms in accordance with the gender they identify with was recently hosted by the Rutgers Law School. This law was put in place in order to prevent perverts and harassers from going into public restrooms. Although New Jersey is governed by a law against discrimination, we dart the law in North Carolina that prohibits transgender individuals from using the restroom that makes them feel comfortable.

FREE PASS FOR FREE SPEECH

On Nov. 16, the "RU Walkout Against Trump and for a #SanctuaryCampus" protest took place at Voorhees Mall on the College Avenue campus. This protest focused on protecting the educational rights of undocumented students. Before the protest took place, Rutgers professors allowed their students to leave class early to participate — some even decided to cancel class after student prompts. We laurel Rutgers professors for not penalizing students for exercising their right to freedom of speech.

DEFAME THE NICKNAME

The infamous "Slutgers" nickname that Rutgers took on is due to an inaccurate 1992 study about the STI levels among the student population. Mark Cruz, a health education specialist, looked into this study to explain that it only represented 3 percent of the Rutgers female population at the time. We dart this insulting nickname for portraying a false representation of the sexual health at Rutgers.

LOVE AND PIE

The Chinese Student Organization (CSO) joined Love Without Boundaries in order to raise money at their Children's Annual Remembrance Event. This event, held in the Busch Student Center, was organized in order to fundraise for impoverished children in China, Uganda and Cambodia. Activities at this event included pie-ing an executive board member, taking part in a fire noodle challenge as well as winning prizes from raffles. We laurel the CSO for creating a fun way for students to raise money for those in need abroad.

NEW JERSEY'S GOT SOME WORK TO DO

It was reported that New Jersey lost 5,600 jobs in October. Amongst these jobs were ones in sectors such as trade, transportation and utilities, manufacturing, leisure and hospitality, financial activities, information and construction. Along with this, the public sector also recorded a loss of 1,000 jobs. We dart this change in the economy and unemployment for causing the loss of so many jobs.

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority of the 148th editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff