WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Nov. 11, 2016

laurels_and_darts

PICTURE OF HEALTH

The Be Jersey Strong chapter at Rutgers is recruiting students help educate uninsured local citizens on health insurance options. The members of the club are critical components in providing information on how to enroll local citizens for health insurance. The group recruited 60 members last semester and continues to grow and help the community. We laurel Rutgers' Be Jersey Strong chapter for aiding the uninsured members of the community who are in need of health insurance.

HOLD YOUR PHONE

Rutgers has become a target for IRS phone scams. An influx of students have reported suspicious phone calls they have received to the Office of Financial Aid. Students report that these phone calls consist of threats of criminal charges if certain amounts of money are not transferred through Western Union. These students discovered — after searching the phone number on Google — that these scammers are repeat offenders. We dart these scammers for preying on the financial insecurities of struggling college students and scaring them with false charges.

RUTGERS AGAINST HUMAN TRAFFICKING

A group at Rutgers has been working since 2007 to combat human trafficking. The Rutgers University Campus Coalition Against Trafficking (RUCCAT)  has a website dedicated to raising awareness for the cause within the Rutgers community. They have shared that New Jersey is ranked the 8th highest among all states in regards to the number of reported human trafficking cases. We laurel the RUCCAT for bringing light to such pertinent issues within our state, as well as the rest of the population.

HARD CORE PROBLEMS

Rutgers has been evaluated by The American Council of Trustees and Alumni and has received a "D" as a grade based upon how well its core requirements teach its students about a variety of subjects. This low grade means that Rutgers is lacking in teaching students about literature, foreign languages, mathematics, history, government and economics. This nonprofit college watchdog reports that this could lead to students not acquiring the necessary knowledge and skills for future life and employment. We dart the core curriculum for not preparing students for life after college.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RUTGERS

New York City's Empire State Building, as well as the entire University, took part in celebrating Rutgers University's 250th anniversary. The Empire State Building was glowing scarlet red to honor the university's anniversary. The celebration at Rutgers included 25,000 cupcakes, fireworks and the ringing of the Old Queen's bell. We laurel Rutgers and New York City for participating in the celebration of one of the oldest universities in the nation.

RUTGERS BUSINESS SCHOOL STABBING

The Rutgers Business School (RBS) stabbing that shocked the campus has been identified as former student Joshua S. Thompson. He has been charged with two counts of attempted murder, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose as well as unlawful possession of a weapon. We dart this former student for threatening the lives of students as well as endangering the atmosphere of the University.