Rutgers drops to 0-3 with loss to Wake Forest

backwsandersjeffrey1111

Sophomore guard KK Sanders led Rutgers in scoring with 12 points against Wake Forest.

The Rutgers women’s basketball team is rebuilding, and their latest game against Wake Forest proved just that. The Demon Deacons (2-1) outclassed the Scarlet Knights (0-3) with a final score of 55-43.

Rutgers is without star guard Tyler Scaife for the whole season due to an offseason medical procedure and is feeling the effects of her absence. Junior guard Shrita Parker has been trying to fill the void, but one player alone is not enough to replace everything Scaife has on the floor.

In this contest, the Knights were able to keep it close early, as they only faced a 13-12 deficit following the first quarter. The Demon Deacons extended that to a 32-20 halftime lead and then opened the second half on a 10-0 run to push the score to 42-20 with 6:31 left in the third quarter. They never looked back and prevented Rutgers from establishing any sort of momentum to build a comeback.

Sophomore center Desiree Keeling was a force in the paint early, snagging 7 rebounds in the first half, but found herself gaining a foul and being benched midway through the second quarter. She was able to clean it up and set a career high in rebounds, grabbing her 9th of the night with 2:19 left in the third quarter.

Sophomore forward Victoria Harris has been a strong player down low, but once again found herself in foul trouble. She picked up her fourth foul late in the third quarter and fouled out when she committed her fifth of the night with 5:07 left in the game and in only 12 minutes of play. She finished the game with no points on 0-2 shooting and 6 rebounds.

Despite Keeling’s aforementioned rebounding efforts, the Knights really struggled to make shots on offense. Once again, they had difficulties shooting the three, and it took until the fourth quarter, when KK Sanders launched up the teams 12th attempt of the night, for one to go in. They finished the night 2-15 from range and just 32.1% from the field. They were also only 5-12 from the free throw line

Sophomore guard KK Sanders led Rutgers with 12 points and junior Kandiss Barber was the only other Knight in double figures with 11 points.

For Wake Forest, Ariel Stephenson led the charge with 21 points and 9 rebounds while Milan Quinn and Elisa Penna each added 10 points apiece.

Rutgers is still waiting for its first win of the season and the Scarlet Knights return to action Sunday at 6 p.m. on the road against Virginia.

For more updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Griffin Whitmer