RUZIECKI: Defenders of Fidel Castro are in denial about his tyranny

Opinions Column: Conscience of a Co-Ed

ruziecki2

The world is rid of one less tyrannical dictator with the long awaited and deserved death of Cuban dictator Fidel Castro.

The Socialist dictator took power in 1959 under the guise that he would bring much needed democratic reforms to the small island nation of Cuba. Cuba had been under the rule of another dictator, Fulgencio Batista, for roughly five years. Castro led a revolution against Batista and ultimately overthrew him, as the Cuban Revolution came to a close. Many Cuban citizens at the time resonated with Castro’s message. They believed that better days were ahead of them after removing Batista from office. As the Cuban Revolution ended, their beliefs in a better system were shot to hell as they watched Castro ascend into power. Along with his right-hand man and chief executioner, Che Guevara, Castro is said to have imprisoned, tortured and murdered thousands of his own people. He is said to have murdered more Cubans in his first three years in power than Hitler murdered Germans during his first six years. Guevara, who is glorified by many on the left as a symbol of political revolution, led the executions of anyone who dared to oppose them. Under the rule of the previous dictator, Cuba was seen as a vibrant and prosperous country. That was until the Castro regime took power and seized all of the land as the Soviet Union had done before them. It is said that the people of Cuba would only make an average of $20 a month in wages. 

Throughout Castro’s regime, he aligned himself with terrorist groups throughout the world and Cuba became a leading sponsor of terror around the globe. Fidel Castro ruined the lives of thousands of innocent Cuban citizens. As the people of Cuba began to see what was occurring, many of them attempted to escape. If they were caught escaping or even caught conspiring to escape, they were executed by Guevara and his band of executioners. From 1959 to the present day the people of Cuba lived in complete and utter tyranny. I would caution to say that the reign of terror is over due to the unfortunate fact that Fidel’s brother Raul has been in charge of Cuba since 2006. Raul, who is just as brutal and tyrannical as his brother, signals no need to change the way he governs.

Cubans who were fortunate enough to escape the Castro regime were found cheering in the streets of Miami and cities all over the country. A man responsible for the deaths of thousands of Cubans is dead and cheering is warranted. You would think that any civilized human being would cheer the death of a homicidal lunatic, but the left has unfortunately proven me wrong once again. As usual, several college professors praised the murderer for creating a world-class health and education system and being a symbol for revolution. All lies per usual, and I wish the praising stopped here, but it didn’t. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau stated, “It is with deep sorrow that I learned today of the death of Cuba’s longest serving President.” I’m not quite sure how you could even call him a president when he was not democratically elected, but it gets worse. Trudeau went on, "Fidel Castro was a larger than life leader who served his people for almost half a century. A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation.” A bone chilling fantasy put forward by Trudeau, and I wish the praising stopped with his statement, but of course it didn’t. All-star moron Colin Kaepernick, who is championed for standing up while taking a knee for civil rights, wore a t-shirt praising the late dictator. Praises kept on coming from British Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, former President Jimmy Carter, Civil Rights icon Jesse Jackson, and none other than President Barack Obama. It is said that Obama will send more prominent members of his administration to Castro’s funeral than he sent to former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s funeral.

Castro didn’t make improvements to Cuba’s health care and education systems. They are crumbling under the iron fist of the Castro regime. Hospitals are deteriorating, doctors are reusing needles and gloves and diseases are running rampant. Thousands are still reported missing and are presumed dead, and people are still attempting to escape the island to this very day. But the left will continue to tell lies in order to further their utopian agendas. It is with great emphasis that I say this: If you mourn him or attempt in any way to justify the actions of Fidel Castro, you are despicable.

Louis Ruziecki is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science with a minor in history. His column, “Conscience of a Co-Ed,” runs on alternate Wednesdays.

Louis Ruziecki