Police investigate shots-fired incident in New Brunswick

New Brunswick police are investigating a shots-fired incident that occurred on the corner of Jones Ave. and Seaman St. around 12 p.m. on Friday afternoon. – Photo by null

Police are investigating a shots-fired incident that occurred in New Brunswick on Friday afternoon.

Around 12 p.m., a local resident reported seeing a man fire a handgun in the direction of Commercial Avenue. The man, who was standing at the intersection of Jones Avenue and Seaman Street, then ran into the city. 

Policed described the shooter as a black male wearing all dark clothing and a wool cap.

No known injuries resulted from the incident and patrols have been increased in the area, police said.

The New Brunswick Police Department asked that anyone with information on the shots-fired incident, or who may have been in the area at the time, to contact the New Brunswick Police Department Detective Bureau at 732-745-5217.

Four hours after police issued a crime alert, Rutgers Chief Police Kenneth Cop sent an email to the student body regarding steps to take during anemergency on campus. Cop said students should view the school's Emergency Action Plans and update their emergency notification information to receive up-to-date text alerts.

"At Rutgers, campus safety is a shared responsibility that is contingent upon everyone knowing what to do in case of an emergency," Cop said. "During emergencies, accurate information is important."

The Rutgers crime alert comes a week after a student at Ohio State University rammed his vehicle into a group of people on the campus and exited his car to stab victims, leading to the hospitalization of 11 students. 

The morning of the attack, Ohio State Emergency Management tweeted "Buckeye Alert: Active Shooter on campus. Run Hide Fight. Watts Hall. 19th and College," prompting some students to barricade themselves in their rooms.