Rutgers bus jumps curb, hits bench at LSC

15622272_813959552076039_8962497850564319610_n

Courtesy of Ngozi Okafor | A Weekend 2 bus hit a lamppost and a bench on Sunday night. No one was injured during the incident.

A Rutgers bus crashed on Sunday night, knocking over a light pole and bench outside of the Livingston Student Center.

School of Arts and Sciences sophomore Tyler Janssen said the Weekend 2 bus was out of service when the crash occurred. No one was injured during the incident.

“I was on the bus and the driver got off to go to the bathroom, while he was heading back a new bus pulled up and the driver of that bus told us to get off and get on his (bus) because he was leaving first,” Janssen said. “So we got off and right when me and a friend got on the new bus, we heard screeching and people screaming and we looked and we saw the bus rolling.”

No one was in the driver’s seat when the bus started to move, Janssen said.

The driver boarded the bus and told students to get off about 30 seconds before the accident, said School of Arts and Sciences first-year student Ngozi Okafor. He then attempted to stop it as it rolled towards the student center.

Janssen said that he did not see a bus driver on the bus while it was rolling, and did not know how it stopped.

The bus rolled into a light pole and a bench before stopping.

“I'm glad that nobody got hurt. It just really sucked because we were all anxious to get back to our dorms because of finals and the whole thing took easily 45 minutes,” Janssen said.

The Rutgers University Police Department responded to the incident and questioned students who were on the bus and the driver, Okafor said.

"It really looked like it was about to crash into the student center if the bus driver didn't stop the bus as fast as he did," Okafor said.

Rutgers University did not respond to a request for comment by press time.

Chloe Dopico is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. She is a staff writer for The Daily Targum.

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.