Reports: Rutgers to hire Jerry Kill as next offensive coordinator

20130427jerrykill
Photo by Wikipedia Commons |

Former Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill is expected to be hired as Rutgers' next offensive coordinator, according to multiple reports.

Former Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill is expected to become the eighth offensive coordinator of the Rutgers football team in as many years, according to multiple reports late Sunday afternoon. 24/7 Sports was the first outlet to report the news.

The reports surfaced eight days after Drew Mehringer was reported to be leaving Piscataway for Austin to reunite with Tom Herman, this time at Texas.

Kill, who spent the past year at Kansas State as its Associate Athletic Director for Administration, compiled a record of 52-45 in 8 seasons as a head coach at the FBS level with Northern Illinois and Minnesota. He was 55-32 in his seven years coaching in FCS with Southern Illinois and 59-25 in seven years coaching in Division II at Saginaw Valley State and Emporia State.

He was forced to retire from his post as head coach of the Golden Gophers midway through the 2015 season due to health complications. 

The 55-year old suffers from epilepsy, first receiving the diagnosis after suffering a seizure towards the end of a game in October of 2005. Kill was diagnosed with kidney cancer soon after his initial diagnosis of epilepsy, though the cancer has since gone into remission.

He continued to suffer seizures on the sidelines during games in the upcoming seasons, suffering two in 2011 and one each in 2012 and 2013. After taking a leave of absence in the final 7 games of 2013, he returned to Minneapolis and coached to the Citrus Bowl with an 8-4 regular season record, earning Big Ten Coach of the Year honors as a result.

Kill last held the position of offensive coordinator in 1993 with Division II Pittsburg State in Kansas.

This is a developing story. Follow @briannnnf and @TargumSports on Twitter for updates.

Brian Fonseca