Rutgers loses access to sites after datacenter power outage

hillcenterdimitri

A power outage in Hill Center disrupted University systems on Wednesday morning, but all websites were accessible again by the afternoon.

Students were unable to access Sakai, eCollege, information on NextBus and other Rutgers websites on Wednesday morning after a brief power outage took down the Office of Information Technology's data center on the Busch campus.

The power outage began at 9:17 a.m. on Dec. 7, according to an email sent by the eCollege Helpdesk. The network issues continued to impact systems until 11 a.m., but all sites were functioning by 1 p.m.

An earlier email sent by the Helpdesk said "The University is currently experiencing network issues affecting access to eCollege. The Network Operations Center is working on this issue."

The outage began when the Hill Center machine room lost power for about 20 minutes, according to an email sent to the Net-People listserv.

In a statement on Facebook, OIT said the power was accidentally disconnected. Backup power systems did not take over due to the way the power was disconnected, but most of the outages were restored within the hour.

OIT is reviewing the incident and will determine how to avoid similar events in the future, according to the statement.

Any users who are still having difficulties accessing eCollege can email the Helpdesk at help@ecollege.rutgers.edu or call them at (848) 260-2941. 

Nikhilesh De