WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Dec. 2, 2016

laurels_and_darts

PROTECTION AGAINST PESTICIDES

The Rutgers Department for Agriculture Food, and Resource Economics has partnered with the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences to create a section for Farm Safety to educate students on proper pesticide use. The department's main focus is learning about exposure from applying chemicals in small confined fields and environments. We laurel Rutgers for taking a stand to provide learning and tools for good decision making in terms of environmental safety.

DON'T DENY THE DATA

Brian Strom, the chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, released a study that shows that a database that provides researchers with anonymous data regarding existing trials of experiments is widely underused. With more than 200 submissions to use the data, Strom found that barely any papers were amounting from them, despite the data being useful in learning about what has worked or not worked in the past. We dart the fact that this resourceful database is not being used to its full potential.

ONLY ONE CALL AWAY

The Call Center of Rutgers University Behavioral Healthcare added New Jersey Vet2Vet to offer support for New Jersey military veterans and their families. Rutgers University Behavioral Health partnered with the New Jersey Department of Military and Veteran Affairs to create this helpline that is accessible 24 hours a day. This program offers peer support, clinical assessments and case management and referrals to mental health providers. We laurel New Jersey Vet2Vet for creating a supportive option for the veterans in need.

WATCH THAT WATCH LIST

Recently, a conservative group known as "Turning Point USA" came out with the "Professor Watchlist," which is a site that is dedicated to documenting and providing profiles of university professors who allegedly express "liberal biases." Norman Markowitz, a professor in the Department of History, was 1 of 4 Rutgers professors listed. His affiliation with the Communist Party is what landed him on the list, despite his statement that he does not care if his students share his views when he is teaching. We dart "Turning Point USA" for targeting four Rutgers professors, despite their open attitudes to other students' views.

FEELING LIKE A MILLION BUCKS

Rutgers hosted its second annual Giving Day on Nov. 29. This day, in conjunction with International Giving Tuesday, is based on harnessing support from University alumni. By incorporating other campuses and other social media platforms, Rutgers Giving Day was able to aid the Rutgers community in raising more than $1 million. We laurel the Rutgers alumni for being so generous and continuing to make an impact at Rutgers even after leaving.

STROKE OF BAD LUCK

A recent study done at Rutgers shows that the rate of strokes more than doubles for those among Generation X. Generation X accounts for those who were born between 1965 and 1980. Strokes, being the main cause of death in New Jersey, kills nearly 1,000 people each year. Although these numbers are a decrease from 1950, it seems to be increasing within younger generations. We dart the fact that Generation X has to suffer from these health issues that put their lives at risk.