Rutgers announces launch of high-performance supercomputer

supercomputerrutgers
Photo by Rutger University |

Caliburn, which was created by Manish Parashar (left) and Ivan Rodero (right) has already garned international recognition. The creators are working to mobilize the technology. 

Rutgers hopes to revolutionize the technological world after introducing Caliburn, an internationally ranked supercomputer, created by University faculty.

The Caliburn was revealed to the public during an unveiling event on Dec. 15, 2016. Attendees included Rutgers administrators, representatives from the state administration, industry leaders and members of the Rutgers community. 

The supercomputer was designed and built by a team from the Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute, led by Associate Director of Technical Operations Ivan Rodero in partnership with corporations including HighPoint Solutions, Intel and IBM, said Manish Parashar, a distinguished professor in the Department of Computer Science. Prashar was the team leader for the construction of Caliburn. 

“Caliburn, means ‘Excalibur,’ for King Arthur’s sword, in Olde English,” Parashar said. “It follows the Rutgers Scarlet Knight theme.”

The Caliburn was ranked by TOP500, a bi-annual list of the world’s supercomputers, as second among Big Ten universities and eighth among U.S. academic institutions, according to the Rutgers Office of Research and Economic Development (ORED). 

“The Caliburn provides researchers, students and practitioners with the computing and data analytics capabilities necessary to address grand challenges in science, engineering, medicine, humanities and business,” Parashar said in an email.

The project received $10 million in funding through the State’s Higher Education Equipment Leasing Fund Program (ELF), according to NJ Advance Media.

After the project’s funding was established, it took approximately two years to fully complete — including design, procurements, construction, deployment and testing, Parashar said.

He said students at Rutgers played a role in Caliburn’s development.

“Students at Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (helped) evaluate different design options and technologies as part of their research,” Parashar said.

The University plans to partner with private businesses in order to ultimately earn more money in support of the school, according to tapinto.net.

They plan to make the system accessible to researchers at other New Jersey universities and industry users, according to Rutgers ORED.

“The system has already started to support users and projects,” Parashar said. “There is a large number of researchers and students from across all Rutgers campuses signed up to use the system.”

Associate Vice President of Economic Development Peggy Brennan-Tonetta said, in an interview with TapInto, that the supercomputer’s use of big data also has business implications, ranging from manufacturing of clothing to biomedical supplies.

Many vendors were involved in providing the of components that were required to create the system, Parashar said.

“It took intense coordination internally and externally to bring it all together,” he said.

The Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute will work with the New Jersey Big Data Alliance to build an industry users program, according to the report by Rutgers ORED. 

“Science and society are being transformed by computing and data," Parashar said. "Caliburn brings together a novel architecture, state of the art computing, storage and communication technologies."

Christopher Robertson is a School of Arts and Sciences first-year majoring in journalism. She is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum.

Christopher Robertson