Rutgers service dog found injured after 72-hour search

15878319_1348623755158398_2041442469_o
Photo by Courtesy of Angela Diekhaus |

A Rutgers service dog, Moe, was found in Edison after being going missing three days ago.

A Rutgers University Companion Animals service dog was found injured after going missing more than 72 hours ago and is currently being treated at an emergency veterinarian hospital. 

The dog, Moe, went missing from his foster’s apartment near Richardson Street and Huntington Street in the early morning on Jan. 1, said Angela Diekhaus, president of the club.

Three days later, Moe was found walking along train tracks in Edison. He was spotted around 6 p.m. by a couple that saw him through a fence, the School of Arts and Sciences senior said.

“The Edison Fire Department was needed to help us get him from where he was located, and he is currently at the emergency vet hospital,” she said.

Photo: Courtesy of Angela Diekhaus

Moe was found injured, Diekhaus said. The severity of his injuries is not yet known, but he is in stable condition.

The service dog ran from the apartment when one of his foster’s roommates opened a door. He was frightened by the sound of fireworks, Diekhaus said.

“The fireworks spooked him in New Brunswick, and when a roommate opened the door he got scared and bolted out. The residents of the house tried to chase after him and scared him more. He ran into Buccleuch Park and then they lost sight of him from there,” she said.

Multiple search parties over the weekend began scouring the area in hopes of finding Moe, who was wearing his collar and service tags when he went missing, according to a Facebook post. Moe does not have a microchip. 

One person sighted Moe near the ramp to Route 18 North around 1 a.m. on Jan. 1, but Diekhaus said no other sightings were reported.

CBS News and Fios 1 News published stories about the missing dog after Janice Wolfe, the founder of Merlins Kids, contacted the news organization. 

“Facebook posts have also been shared, with students commenting offering to help search for Moe," she said.

Moe is a 1-year-old Rhodesian Ridgeback in training to be a service dog for a Rutgers student who is a veteran. Moe will be trained in PTSD and mobility assistance, Diekhaus said.

“We are so thankful that the Rutgers community came together, sharing his story. If they had not, he would still be lost. Our focus now is on making sure that he is well, and fundraising to support his new found medical needs,” she said. 

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.