Rutgers honors seniors in Richmond meet

backblackdt1015

Senior diver Alyssa Black will be honored during Saturday’s meet against Richmond.

The Rutgers swimming and diving team will be facing the Richmond Spiders in its final dual meet of the season on Saturday morning at the Rutgers Aquatic Center.

Saturday will also be "Senior Day," as it will be both the last dual meet and the last home meet for the senior members of the team.

Senior athletes making their farewell performances this upcoming weekend include swimmers Chantal Asselin, Barbra Brottman, Meghan Kiely and Rachel Stoddard along with diver Alyssa Black.

The team's class of 2017 members have produced some key performances this year and the Scarlet Knights continue to put up strong performances.

Black has produced multiple 1-meter diving victories and NCAA Zone qualifying marks, Kiely has helped the team with multiple third places finishes and a second-place mark and Stoddard has contributed multiple first-place finishes in events such as the 100m and 200m breaststroke.

Rutgers will put its focus into this last meet against Richmond after placing second in last weekend’s tri-meet against Cincinnati and Virginia Tech. The Knights topped Cincinnati with an impressive 223-130 score but came up short against Virginia Tech in a 191-157 finish.

Rutgers can come into this week’s matchup with a boost in confidence, as the team was honored by the College Swimming Coaches Association of America as a Scholar All-America Team. The team had a combined 3.34 GPA in the fall semester.

“We are continuously striving for success in the classroom with our team and are happy to see improvements from last fall,” head coach Petra Martin told ScarletKnights.com. “A big thanks to our academic adviser, John Paxton, and everyone else in athletic Academic Support Services that works with our team.”

This is the sixth consecutive semester that the team has made the Scholar All-America Team.

Last weekend, the Spiders traveled to Philadelphia where they went up against La Salle and Fordham. Richmond dominated La Salle, 210-89, but it couldn’t pull off the sweep, as it fell to Fordham, 153-146, in a tight battle.

Additionally, Richmond freshman Virginia Marsh was named the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week after placing first in both the 200m freestyle and the 50m freestyle in last weekend’s meet.

This weekend’s meet against Richmond will be Rutgers' final preparations against outside talent before championships season begins in the next few weeks.

The Big Ten Championships begin on Thursday, Feb. 15, and extend into the weekend until Saturday, Feb. 19, for a four-day long meet between the conference’s best. The Knights will travel up to West Lafayette, Indiana, making this the third time this season the team will compete in Indiana.

For updates on the Rutgers swimming and diving team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Coby Green