RU finishes behind Yale, Penn State in Pennsylvania tri-meet

p11addisondt1215

Junior diver Addison Walkowiak excelled at the tri-meet over the weekend, finishing in first place in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives, hitting NCAA Zone marks.

The Rutgers women’s swimming and diving team jumped in the pool this past weekend in Pennsylvania, where they faced Penn State and Yale.

The Scarlet Knights fought hard but fell to the Nittany Lions by a score of 204-148 while being topped by Bulldogs, 255-98.

The Knights were trying to showcase themselves after a long intermission following the Bruno Invitational in Providence, RI and the Winter Sun meet in Florida a week prior.

Junior diver Addison Walkowiak finished first in the 1-meter dive with a 308.30 mark, securing her second diving title in two days. Walkowiak furthered an impressive weekend with a first-place finish in the 3-meter dive.

Both senior diver Alyssa Black, a Middletown, NY native who placed third with a 295.20 mark, and Walkowiak, provided performances that hit NCAA Zone qualifying marks.

“I'm proud of the team and how we worked together this weekend,” head coach Petra Martin told scarletknights.com. “Our team unity is strong and the atmosphere this weekend was very positive. Even though we are very sore and tired right now we kept fighting. We are in a lot better place as a group compared to last year at this point of the season and that is important."

The Knights finished in second in the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:29.54. The relay consisted of three freshman, but was led by senior Meghan Kiely. She was joined by first-year athletes Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba, Meghan Moses and Clare Lawlor.

Rutgers finished in fourth place in the 200 medley relay with a mark of 1:45.54. Sophomore Vera Koprivova led off and was followed by senior Rachel Stoddard, with sophomore Francesca Stoppa and freshman Vanessa Ruiz anchoring the relay.

Individually, Czech Republic native Koprivova placed fourth in the 200 backstroke, hitting the wall in 2:02.44. Italy native Stoppa placed fourth in the 100 butterfly with a 55.94.

The Knights are set to re-enter the pool on January 20 and 21, when they take on Cincinnati and Virginia Tech in Christiansburg, Virginia.

“Our team culture is strong and we can see that in everything we do,” Martin said. “The team is sticking together through thick and thin and driving towards a common goal. Our captains have been doing a great job with the whole group as well and I'm proud of their focus and all the thought and work they put into the team.”

Coby Green