RU strolls into Staten Island behind stellar sophomore

rhondaragombedt116

Sophomore high-jumper Rhonda Rogombe heads into the Villanova Open in Staten Island with an impressive weekend performance behind her.

The Rutgers women’s track and field team will return to Staten Island this Friday to close out the month by competing in the Villanova Open at the Ocean Breeze Track and Field Complex.

Both the track and field events are slated to start at 12 p.m.

The Scarlet Knights are returning to Ocean Breeze coming off another solid meet last weekend that saw the team secure two track titles and finish fourth overall out of eight participating schools.

This weekend, Rutgers will face Big East competition in host Villanova as well as several other non-conference teams.

Knights sophomore Rhonda Rogombe, who took first place in the high jump (1.70 meters) last week, remarked on how confident she was about how the team has played in only its first month of the season.

“Looking at the beginning of the season and for myself last year, we’ve definitely learned a lot not only from our coaches but also each other,” Rogombe said. “Being around such driven, motivated and hard-working people has really helped us grow as individuals and that has translated into us growing us as a team.”

Rogombe was satisfied with last weekend’s results and her expectations for January meets have remained moderate.

“Overall, I think we did what we came to do. There’s always room for improvement, which we’ll reflect upon this week and try to keep progressing (toward) next weekend and onward.”

The sophomore also kept her prospects for Rutgers' stellar running squad straightforward — the track athletes have already taken 11 titles in January alone.

“For the running group, they need to keep doing what they’re doing," Rogombe said. "They just need to stay healthy.”

Looking forward, Rogombe stressed the importance of health and paying attention to the more minute aspects of the craft.

“We need to focus on staying healthy and ways in which we can improve — for my group (the field group), it’s very technical so there’s always the little things and (bad) habits that we have that keep reappearing. Our coaches try to make sure that we break those habits,” she said. “So as far as the field group those are getting better, but like I said, there’s always room for improvement.”

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton