WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Jan. 27, 2017

RUTGERS IS TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS

Rutgers Business School's full-time Master of Business Administration (MBA) program has been ranked No. 1 for employment rates after graduation out of any Big Ten schools. It was reported that 98.3 percent of Rutgers' full-time MBA program students gain employment within three months of graduation. This is credited to the professors, curriculum and network of connections with companies in the New Brunswick area. These students also were shown to receive high salaries and have good career trajectories. We laurel Rutgers Business School for having such an esteemed program and allowing for its students to reach their full potential.

SORRY, BUT SAFETY FIRST

A Rutgers professor is currently under investigation by the University. Kevin Allred, the creator of the "Politicizing Beyoncé" course, is not scheduled to teach during the spring semester. After "threats" to kill white people on campus — which Allred said were jokes — were found on his Twitter, the University reacted by suspending him. While he has not been officially terminated, University spokesperson Karen Smith has stated that she cannot comment on the specifics of an individual personnel matter. We dart the decisions of Kevin Allred for putting the University in a tough position as well as for creating the sense of an unsafe environment for students.

LEND A HELPING VOICE

An independent, non-profit organization at Rutgers is providing financial and emotional support to families of children facing pediatric cancer. The Ashley Lauren Foundation Club at Rutgers is hosting an event in February called the "RU Brew: Cup of Love" CoffeeHouse Event, which will include live karaoke. The organization donates its proceeds to the Saint Peter's University Hospital. We laurel this club for creating fun events to raise awareness and money for those who suffer from the effects of cancer.

CLOWNS STRIKE (AGAIN)

If you thought the killer clowns from earlier this year were a thing of the past, you were wrong. This week, a 14-year-old boy from New Jersey was arrested for posting an anonymous killer clown threat made back in October. The investigation had been going on for three months, resulting in a charge of making terroristic threats in the third-degree because of the boy's "terroristic threats and creating a false public alarm." The threat was posted on Instagram depicting a clown seated on a swing and warning teachers and kids that they would be targets. We dart the boy and others who choose to terrorize the public.

NEW JERSEY WELCOMES ALL

New Jersey has been ranked second in the United States for its racial progress this year. Students from Rutgers are not surprised, due to the diversity and open-mindedness of the state and the University as well. The state credits this achievement to programs of inclusion that promote equality as well as the legislation of the state that prohibits discrimination. According to another ranking, New Jersey is the eighth most tolerant state. We laurel New Jersey for being such a progressive state that makes people of every race and faith feel welcome.

ATTACKED FROM WITHIN

Rutgers University has been the victim of almost a dozen Distributed Denial of Service (DDos) attacks over the past two years. These attacks included disruptions to Sakai web access as well as disabled Internet access for everyone on campus. Robert Coelho, vice president of DDoS mitigation company ProxyPipe Inc., confirmed that Paras Jha, a Rutgers student, was the perpetrator of these attacks or at least close to the coder. We dart Jha for interfering with and disrupting Rutgers' online systems.