EDITORIAL: Women’s March steps in right direction

Protests could be beginning of larger progressive movement

screen_shot_20170122_at_94002_pm

If you have any form of social media or are even slightly in tune with your surroundings, you would know that the Women’s March on Washington took place on Saturday, along with sister marches around the world. From New York to Los Angeles and further, men and women came out to have their voices be heard. The protest, dedicated to championing human rights and highlighting progressive voices, was estimated to have been the largest protest in American history. People from Chicago, Denver, Atlanta, Boston and other cities such as Paris and London, marched in solidarity just a day after President Donald J. Trump swore into office. Protestors who held signs up such as, “Misogyny and racism aren’t normal,” and “Keep your hands off my rights,” sent a clear message that not only were they standing up for basic human rights, but also the policies and attitudes that Trump had incited throughout his campaign. The biggest question that seems to be buzzing is: Can the ideas behind the protests fuel a larger movement? With such a large following and media attraction, what started as a march can become the driving force into a bigger pool of possibility for change. And despite some of the criticism from opponents of the protest, this march was one of the most impressive displays of unity and determination that America has ever seen, in both size and in purpose.

A movement is only as strong as the actions of the people behind it. With almost 2.9 million people marching globally, letting their voices be heard, one would assume that the Women’s March on Washington was as strong as any protest can be. However, Trump does not seem to think the same. Trump took to his notorious Twitter account to respond to the concerned American public about the protests. Trump sarcastically tweeted, “Watched protests yesterday but was under the impression that we just had an election! Why didn’t these people vote?” This has led some people to believe that the efforts of the protest, although large in number, are dismissible because of the lack of action being taken. But Trump needs to take a step back and remember that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton did, in fact, beat him out in the popular vote by over 2.9 million votes. Trump’s mocking question has no basis. This tweet not only says a lot about the understanding of the president, but it also sets a precedent for Trump’s future relations with the people of the nation who do not share his sentiments on certain matters. Rather than calling representatives or leaders of the protest and inviting them to meet with him to discuss the future policies that have them concerned, Trump chose to send out an ironic tweet. And as the leader of the free world, this may be a hindrance for any future action that the Women’s March can lead to.

The Women’s March sent a clear message that there are people in this nation that will not take the discrimination and prejudice that exists sitting down. But there are a few obstacles to maneuver around, as well as ideas that need to be agreed upon before anything larger can be produced from the efforts of the protest. For example, the Women’s March removing Students for Life of America, a pro-life, non-profit organization, from their partner list sends a very divided message out to the public. Learning to find ways to incorporate a larger variety of views into their movement can help the Women’s March reach heights that no one, not even the president of the United States, can stop.