Arrest made in connection to 2016 murder of Rutgers—Newark student

murderrutgersedu
Photo by Rutgers.edu |

Days before receiving his diploma from Rutgers—Newark, School of Public Affairs and Administration senior Mujahid Henry was struck and killed in a hit-and-run accident. Henry was a promising student and an esteemed campaign worker for gubernatorial candidate Phil Murphy. 

After nearly a year on the run, a second man was arrested Tuesday by U.S. Marshals in connection with a 2016 shooting of a Rutgers—Newark student, according to Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray.

Fraynned Ramirez of Hartford, Connecticut, was arrested in the Dominican Republic and can be extradited to the United States as early as tomorrow.

Ramirez is accused of committing felony murder by shooting Toms River native and Rutgers—Newark junior Shani Patel, according to a press release. He also faces charges of robbery and weapons offense, the statement said.

Patel was killed at an off-campus apartment on Central Avenue during a robbery on April 10, 2016, and Ramirez has been on the run ever since then, the statement said.

Authorities say Ramirez was the second man wanted in connection to the shooting. Marcus Feliz of Newark was the first man arrested just days after allegedly fatally shooting Patel, and injuring Patel’s 23-year-old roommate, who survived the attack.

Authorities found a substantial amount of drugs and money on the scene of the shooting, according to Patch.com.

Patel reportedly had a past of drug dealings and was sentenced to two years of probation in 2015 after being indicted on charges of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and fourth-degree marijuana possession.

Alex Bardis, a friend of Patel, told Patch.com Patel was planning to go into real estate to flip houses, and aid his family in living a better life since their emigration from India.

“He had big goals and he was pursuing them, all for his mother,” he said.

Sophie Nieto-Munoz is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and Italian. She is a staff writer for The Daily Targum. You can find her on Twitter @snietomunoz for more.

Sophie Nieto-Munoz