Sounds of Chris Gold Organ Quartet soothes Ale House

ibchrisgoldfacebook

On the bottom floor of the Garden State Ale House Wednesday night, a dozen people sat at the bar to share a great evening with the Chris Gold Organ Quartet as part of the New Brunswick Jazz Project show series. It was a night filled with solos, impromptu arrangements, a surprise vocalist and some jaw-dropping organ.

Gold introduced the band and thanked everyone for coming before warning the crowd that tonight’s set was going to be full of love songs.

Gold and trumpeter Tom Killacky split the melody, and they were accompanied by organist William Gorman and drummer Vincent Evangelista. The upbeat love songs soon turned into solos, and the bar guests enjoyed the music as they talked and ate.

When they played “Easy to Love” by Cole Porter, the quartet brought up a surprise vocalist.

It was a great example of the diversity of sound in the group. The song started off with just the organ and vocals, and it felt almost churchy. The drums joined, and with it came an entire change of feeling. The song picked up, and after the verse, Gold came out of the gate.

The song was relatively upbeat, and if you watched closely you saw the organist playing the walking bass line with his feet while his hands were flying through chords. If you have trouble rubbing your belly and tapping your head, I would like to challenge you to imagine what type of coordination that took.

In addition to being amazed by the organ, Gold also wowed the crowd with his flute playing for a song called “Waves” by Jobim. Gold played the flute wonderfully, but sadly that was the only song that the flute was pulled out for.

In addition to being talented musicians, the Chris Gold Organ Quartet was able to create an easy-going atmosphere. Everyone relaxed into the lax mood by either enjoying the bar or listening to the music and paying attention to just how wonderful the musicianship was: A norm for the New Brunswick Jazz Project.

“(The New Brunswick Jazz Project) is really great. Great musicians from all over … can come to New Brunswick and play thanks to them,” Gold said.

But in addition to pulling great musicians from outside into New Brunswick, the New Brunswick Jazz project also is a platform for raising local musicians.

“I really got introduced to (the project) through playing at jam sessions during freshman year. I played and they liked me, so I was asked to play for them,” Gold said.

But as wonderful as Chris’s group is, they are also still students who are only getting better. They're one of the many gems to be found in New Brunswick and the New Brunswick Jazz Project is the place to find them.

Kai Kiernan