Michael Bond Trio executes balance of craft, performance at INC Restaurant

ibmichealbrowntriofacebook

The Michael Bond Trio featuring Duane Eubanks graced the INC American Bar and Kitchen restaurant last Wednesday night with its music’s trademarked effortlessness in another addition of The New Brunswick Jazz Project.

The feeling of effortlessness transcends music and impacts any audience, and this week’s show was no different.

The trio, made up of Michael Bond on keys, Emma Dayhuff on bass and Duane Eubanks on trumpet, sat in the center of the floor-to-ceiling windows that displayed the view of the old college town while they played.

All songs were called by bandleader Bond, and the trio played almost endlessly throughout the night with pauses only for applause from hungry bar-goers in the packed restaurant.

The musicians all exchanged main melodies throughout the set, and you could clearly tell from listening, that all were talented musicians to the point where you could almost count their respective years of training with each note.

Bond, a pianist, has played around the tri-state area very actively. When accompanied by the fantastic trumpet play Duane Eubanks and held together by the great bassist Emma Dayhuff, the trio exceeded expectations for both stage presence and musicianship.

The Michael Bond Trio flourished the melodies and solos like nobody's business when the time came. 

They played through well-known jazz standards and even if they chose faster songs, all members were playing the melody. It became an almost improvised choir with all three members very much in sync.

That groove and togetherness rarely changed throughout the two-hour set. They played constantly and consistently.

The trio commonly performs around New Brunswick, but Bond, Dayhuff and Eubanks are all also the teachers and students of some amazing musicians from New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia. 

Their music is available online and is great for both the hardened jazz expert and the amateur listener.

It was an absolute pleasure to be able to listen to the Michael Bond Trio play together and enjoy the food and drinks at INC American Bar and Kitchen restaurant. The great atmosphere leads itself naturally to enjoying the great music they provide on a regular basis, and it's also a wonderful way to impress a date.

Kai Kiernan