Rutgers Red Cross Club reaches out, gives back to local community

unidt1215

File Photo | The Rutgers Red Cross works with local groups, including Elijah's Promise Soup Kitchen, by providing donations to help these locations.

The Red Cross Club is an organization dedicated to promoting the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross and hopes to act as an important service tool in the Rutgers community. 

The Rutgers organization aims to be an extension of the national organization, said Anna Chen, a School of Arts and Sciences senior and the club’s president.

The American Red Cross is a national organization dedicated to helping communities across the globe. One of their main programs are blood drives — they provide blood to about 2,600 hospitals nationwide, according to their website.

One of the organization's main goals is to prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors, according to the club's mission statement.

This greatly overlaps with the founding ideas of the Red Cross Club at Rutgers, Chen said.

“The club’s mission is to … reach out to the Rutgers community and the nearby New Brunswick community and try to help people become more prepared in cases of disaster or emergency, and also to further the mission of the Red Cross and the services it has,” Chen said.

The Red Cross Club holds general interest meetings every other week and all are welcome, Chen said. Beyond their general interest meetings, they also hold several events, some of which are also extensions of nationwide initiatives. 

Several events hosted by the Red Cross Club include a blood drive, CPR certification and their "Zombie Apocalypse Scavenger Hunt," which is a fun event that aims to ensure that everyone who attends is prepared for emergencies, Chen said.

Beyond hosting events, the Red Cross Club also runs numerous programs, said Jack Bradley, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore and the club's secretary. His favorite is Elijah's Promise.

Elijah’s Promise is a charity organization dedicated to aiding the homeless and ending the vicious cycle of poverty. The Red Cross Club assisted in this effort by gathering donations for the homeless in the community.

Every year, Elijah’s Promise gathers and donates over 100,000 meals to the homeless, according to their website

Elijah's Promise aims to break the cycle of poverty and envisions a community where no one goes hungry, and opportunities are available to everyone who seeks it, according to their vision statement.

“It’s really awesome when we can help the local community,” Jack said.

The organization does a lot of good for the community, but it is also fun and friendly for the members, said Junelle Corcuera, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior and the club’s co-vice president.

The club is full of driven and friendly members, and it is not only a great service to the community but also a fun place to spend your time, and the club would love to see more attendance, Corcuera said.

“I really like to get to know the members and how enthusiastic they can be,” Corcuera said.

Zachary Peterson