The Rutgers Runway: Neutrals dominate top tier of campus style

nick_fulginiti

From black to every shade of gray, tan and khaki, neutral colors are all over the runways this season. Rutgers students are taking this trend off the runway this winter and wearing it in their everyday street style around campus.

Shorts aren’t only for summer! Put a pair of stockings underneath or add a pair of thigh-high boots to make them totally acceptable for colder weather.

International student Michelle Wang perfected this trend in head-to-toe designer fashion. Wang tucked her black, Burberry cashmere turtleneck into black Yves Saint Laurent flowy shorts and added a pair of Stuart Weitzman suede, thigh-high boots. This monochromatic look was so gorgeous and could easily be transitioned from day to night.  

She the bundled up with a camel-colored, stadium-style coat from Club Monaco and finished off the look with a signature, monogram tote bag from Gucci and subtle red lipstick.

Photo:

Photo:

Photo:

Whether they're knit, cotton or cashmere, or they're flowy or form fitting, turtlenecks have been all the rage this year for both women and men.

School of Arts and Sciences Sophomore Nick Fulginiti was looking chic in a Jeanne Pierre cream-colored turtleneck layered underneath a hooded, charcoal-gray, wool coat from J. Crew. The clean lines and neutral colors make Fulginiti's outfit choice both simple and stylish. He paired the neutral pieces with dark wash jeans from American Eagle and classic Timberland boots for the perfect touch. 

On the other side of the spectrum, a lace-up ballerina flat is the perfect feminine touch to any outfit. Almost every shoe designer has jumped on the trend and you can now find this shoe style in every color, material and price range.

Audrey Kim’s street style look was dominated by accessories. The School of Arts and Sciences junior rocked the lace-up ballerina flat trend with a pair of camel-colored ones with gold hardware from Halogen (can be found at Nordstrom).

Her shoes perfectly matched her always classic and iconic Burberry scarf. Audrey got her dark wash skinny jeans from Abercrombie & Fitch, which she cuffed at the bottom to show off the lace-up detail of her shoes. The neutral tone and pattern from the scarf complimented her army green fur hooded coat from American Eagle.

Keep dazzling RU!

Lauren Colonna