Rutgers takes second in Metropolitan Indoor Championships behind St. Johns

trackbryannadt116

Junior Bryanna Grant finished in fourth place in the triple jump event with a score of 12.28 meters.

The Rutgers women’s track and field team started off February with a strong team effort at the Metropolitan Indoor Championships at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in Staten Island, N.Y., last Friday.

The Scarlet Knights, though unable to successfully defend their 2016 championship, earned second place overall with a team score of 127 points.

St. John’s took this year’s championship with a score of 142.5 points. Rounding out the third, fourth and fifth place spots was Manhattan (108 points), Stony Brook (78 points), and Fordham (73 points).

Rutgers saw four first-place titles captured in the championship meet.

Junior Bryanna Grant produced her third triple-jump title of the 2016 campaign with an Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) qualifying score of 12.34 meters.

Senior Sarah Robbie earned first place in the 800-meter event with a time of 2:15.72.

Robbie also played a vital role in the 4x400-meter event along with senior Ellen Miller, sophomore Jenna Sobieski and junior Brianna Haspel, as the foursome captured second place with an ECAC qualifying time of 9:20.43.

Haspel had another strong performance on Friday, taking first place and setting a new personal record in the 1000-meter event with a time of 2:55.91 – another ECAC qualifier for the Knights.

In her final Metropolitan Indoor Championship meet, graduate athlete Paige Senatore took first place in the 3000-meter event with an ECAC qualifying time of 9:54.96.

Rutgers also saw an impressive outing by junior Bria Saunders, who took second place with ECAC qualifying times in both the 60-meter (7.54) and 200-meter (24.62) events.

Junior Oksana Sokolova saw dual runner-up performances in field competition, taking second place in the high jump (1.60 meters) and pentathlon (3391).

Next week, the Knights will head to Boston, Mass., for the two-day Valentine Invitational meet. It will be the last outing for them before they head to Geneva, Ohio, for the Big Ten Indoor Championship.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton