Despite injuries, Rutgers collects four ECAC qualifying scores at Valentine Invitational

trackbryannadt116

Junior Bryanna Grant finished in fourth place in the triple jump event with a score of 12.28 meters.

The Rutgers women’s track and field team wrapped up its final meet of the indoor regular season last weekend with an admirable team effort at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational hosted by Boston University at the Boston University Track and Tennis Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

Despite injuries to key track and field athletes, the Scarlet Knights managed to earn four Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) qualifying scores.

Rutgers was led by a strong performance in the triple jump event, in which senior Bryanna Grant earned fourth place with an ECAC qualifying score of 12.28 meters.

Grant’s effort marks her fourth consecutive top-five placement in the triple jump since the start of the 2017 indoor season. Her previous three triple jumps earned her consecutive titles to start the year.

The Knights also saw three other ECAC qualifying scores in Boston.

Junior Brianna Haspel placed 24th overall in the 800-meter event and set a new personal record with an ECAC qualifying time of 2:13.12. Her previous best was set earlier this season at the Rutgers Invitational, where the junior took the 800-meter title with a time of 2:17.76.

Graduate athlete Alayna Famble placed 13th in the 400-meter event with an ECAC qualifying time of 56.65 – a season-best for Famble.

Also posting a season-best time was graduate athlete Paige Senatore in the 5000-meter event. She posted an ECAC qualifying time of 17:15.30.

Elsewhere at the Valentine Invitational, Rutgers athletes put in solid performances.

Junior Imani Beauliere finished 23rd in the 200-meter event with a time of 25.31.

Senior Kaitlyn Bedard earned 18th in the 1000-meter event with a time of 2:58.36.

In the 60-meter hurdles, junior Oksana Sokolova led the Knights by finishing 28th with a time of 9.23.

In the 4x400-meter relay, the Rutgers A squad of sophomore Nabiya Garrett, Famble, Beauliere and Sokolova placed 15th overall with a time of 3:54.44.

In field events, the Knights saw notable efforts by freshman Lynnea Davis, who placed 35th in the long jump event (4.70 meters), and sophomore Cameron Daniels, who placed 17th in the shot put event (12.33 meters).

In less than two weeks, Rutgers will travel to the Spire Institute in Athens, Ohio to participate in the culminating meet of its 2017 indoor season – the Big Ten Indoor Championships. The championship meet will span February 24 and 25 and will arguably present the greatest challenge of the season for this young Knights team.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton