Rutgers clubs help students make terrariums while sharing importance of sustainability

terrariumdimitri

Last Friday, Rutgers Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and the Arts (STEAM) and the Landscape Architecture (LA) Club helped students create their own terrariums and taught about landscape architecture and environmental design through presentations.

To make their own terrariums, the students gathered around a wide variety of plant species and other materials. The process started with putting rocks and soil into plastic containers that got topped off with plants of the participants choosing. Plants in terrariums are more slow-growing and do not need to be watered as much.

“Besides helping and continuing to support nature, which gives us obvious benefits like being beautiful and calming us down, (terrariums) also give us physiological benefits: (they give) oxygen (and) the green often helps decrease stress,” said STEAM President and School of Engineering senior Danica Sapit.

The terrariums are also a helpful reminder of the need to focus on sustainability and how important plants are in that goal, Sapit said.

“We want to give back to (the plants) and integrate (them) into our environments as we expand and urbanize,” Sapit said.

Each club also made a presentation that made it clear why the two groups should collaborate, and how they both can relate the creative and scientific aspects of their fields.

“The Rutgers STEAM organization reached out to Landscape Architecture Club because landscape architecture involves arts and sciences, and that’s basically the premise of the STEAM organization,” said Nicole Cohen, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences junior and president-elect of the LA Club.

The LA Club’s presentation aimed to teach STEAM members about what they do in the club.

“(You take) multiple concepts together … You redesign and redesign again and again and again, and then you eventually come up with a nice design and hopefully your client likes it, and hopefully you get paid,” said School of Environmental and Biological Sciences sophomore Nanik Song.

In STEAM’s presentation, members explained biophilic design and its effects on human health.

“It is design(sic) a space for humans and society around nature with it being a very symbiotic kind of relationship,” Sapit said.

Georgette Stillman