Snow has varying effects on accessibility of 5 Rutgers campuses

snowstormdt116
Photo by Th Daily Targum |

The Meteorology club noted more difficulty plowing snow on highly populated campuses like College Avenue.

Rutgers University may experience winter weather conditions differently across each of its five campuses.

School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior and Meteorology Club President Britney Truempy said there really is not a telltale campus that experiences the worst snowfall, as each one experiences the weather differently.

“It’s like when you were younger and would go to your friend’s house but they didn’t get as much snow as you because they were a few towns over,” she said.

It really depends on each individual storm, Truempy said. If the storm is fixed towards the south, then typically College Avenue and Cook/Douglass are more affected. If the storm is moving north, then the opposite is true, then Livingston and Busch are more affected.

While all campuses experience the same average snowfall, some can be more problematic to plow than others. A densely populated area like the College Avenue campus, without much space to push snow, is more difficult to plow than the flat open sidewalks on Livingston, Truempy said.

The Rutgers Meteorology Club forecasts weekly for New Brunswick and has become familiar with trends in the local area, Truempy said. 

She said this season has just been very lackluster and while temperatures have been colder than years past, snowfall has been pretty light.

“On a week like this, I have mixed emotions. My scientific meteorology side cringes because I know the weather is not supposed to be this way. But my normal side enjoys the beautiful temperatures,” Truempy said.

Truempy said she believes global warming is very real. There is a lot of misinformation out there about what is real and what is not, to which she said she think students should enroll in some of the climate dynamic courses to maintain the right information.

Truempy's advice for students when dealing with unpredictable weather is to just check every morning before leaving for class.

There are a lot of really great resources online, on television or even on applications on your phone, Truempy said. She suggests using websites such as Weather.gov because a government-run site will steer clear of weather sensationalism and deliver straight facts.

Manger of the Department of Transportation Services John Karakoglou said that when considering bus transportation during snowfall, certain areas along George Street, College Hall on Douglass campus and the College Avenue Student Center are the most troublesome.

A possible reason for this is the constant flow of vehicles that need access to these areas. Once the snow has been consolidated and packed to the sides, it creates a slippery surface that makes it harder for traffic to move accordingly, Karakoglou said.

He said transportation services work in conjunction with other facilities in order to help prevent the closure of regular services. He knows it is important for students to get around, so if it is possible to run the buses, they will. 

“This past year we haven’t really had any problems. In years past we’ve had big storms but sent the buses out and ended up getting them stuck. Even during our last major storm we ran the whole time and aside from a few buses here and there we had no other complications,” Karakoglou said.

He said they constantly keep in contact with their drivers as they let them know which areas need to be plowed. Transportation services keep eyes and ears everywhere for accidents or excessive snow piling up and really rely on their drivers to keep us updated, Karakoglou said.

“Whenever snow is anticipated my advice is to plan ahead of time and leave extra early for classes to avoid rushing and stay safe,” said Luke Wielgus, a School of Engineering senior.

Christian Zapata is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore. He is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum. 

Christian Zapata

News@dailytargum.com

Christian Zapata is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in philosophy. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum. For more updates, follow him @c_zapata161 on Twitter.