RUZIECKI: Warren focuses more on fight than anything

Opinions Column: Conscience of a Co-Ed

With former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton hopefully out of the political scene for good, it has seemed that Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) has been auditioning to be Clinton’s heir apparent, and for the role of president of the United States. I have long been a critic of the senior senator from Massachusetts, and I don’t plan on changing that stance just because we have an unintelligible person in the White House. If you have just recently begun to follow Warren’s career, then you either think one of two things. You either believe she is a champion of leftist politics, or you believe her to be a major political annoyance — I prefer the latter, but let us delve into the former. Warren has had a field day with President Donald J. Trump in the White House and so has everyone on the left. Before Trump was even in office, Warren would take to social media at any given chance to deliver a sloppy rebuke of whatever she believed the Republicans or Trump had done. She had gotten away with a lot during these past few months, but Warren was hit with a large dose of reality the other day.

While attempting to defame Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) on the floor of the Senate — someone she had never had an issue with before — she was asked to sit by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) The media, and its leftist following, went absolutely insane. Warren had clearly violated Rule 19 of the Senate, which forbids a United States senator from defaming another sitting senator, but that was not going to stop her. The attention she had gotten from being told to take a seat gave her a much-needed ego boost. An ego that had been severely diminished after being the woman who consistently cried bully when Trump did something to hurt her feelings. Warren had soared after Twitter erupted into a storm of support for her. You could not scroll past two tweets without seeing, “Nevertheless, she persisted.” Although McConnell coined the phrase in his response as to why he asked Warren to sit, Warren used it to her advantage.

It is no secret that Congress is broken. Civil discourse and debate have taken a back seat to seemingly fiery populist rhetoric. We are living in an America where our politicians would rather start feuds for the attention, rather than debate a problem in a civil matter. Warren and her following see every possible debate as a battle or a fight. After all, while in the Senate, she did write books called, “This Fight is Our Fight: The Battle to Save America’s Middle Class,” and “A Fighting Chance.” She goes on tirades about standing up for bullies, instead of engaging in practical debate. She would slander a fellow sitting senator for political gain and claim that she was being silenced. The issue I have with Warren is her rhetoric. While she has rightfully called out Trump for his divisive rhetoric, she has failed to keep her own rhetoric in check. By consistently taking to Twitter to lambast Republicans in a malicious tone, she has created many enemies on both sides of the aisle.

In the latest act of stupidity by Warren’s following, Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) has referred to Trump’s nickname of “Pocahontas,” for Warren as “racist.” Now of course, there is no evidence to back this claim other than Trump’s past rhetoric, but there is a case to be made against Warren. While teaching bankruptcy law at Harvard Law School, Warren told the faculty that she was part Cherokee, and listed herself as a minority in the faculty directory. Further investigation would prove that there is no direct evidence that Warren is Native American, except for tales told throughout the Warren family. So, when Trump refers to Warren as “Pocahontas,” I don’t believe it to be derogatory, rather than a statement that is meant to denote her as being a fraud.

Warren has made a career of being an out of touch populist, who cares more about the fight rather than for the good of her constituents. Many progressives are hopeful that Warren will be the Democratic nominee in 2020, but some early polls show some trouble for her on the road ahead. In a poll done by Politico, Trump trails generic Democrats, except for Warren. Hopefully, the Democrats have learned from their past mistakes of nominating a problematic candidate for the highest office in the land. But like most, I am certainly taking a break from political predictions after the past events of Nov. 8.

Louis Ruziecki is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science with a minor in history. His column, “Conscience of a Co-Ed,” runs on alternate Wednesdays.

Louis Ruziecki