WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Feb. 3, 2017

laurels_and_darts

GREEN FOR GREEN

The Rutgers EcoComplex is an organization that aids in innovating and funding clean-energy startups in affiliation with the Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station (NJAES). This group has received a grant of $440,000 from the U.S. Department of Commerce. The money from this grant will be used to fund the organization's proposal of a program, EcoIgnite, which will serve as a place for innovative clean energy entrepreneurship. We laurel the U.S. Department of Commerce for supporting Rutgers' efforts to make a positive impact on the environment.

TOO MUCH CASH FOR CLASS

Rutgers University has been rated among the highest in the country for in-state tuition. This rating was conducted by USA Today, which considered the most expensive in-state college tuitions to be within the range of $13,190 and $15,160. Other states with the highest tuition included New Hampshire, Vermont, Pennsylvania and Illinois. In-state Rutgers—New Brunswick students who live on campus pay about $26,632 yearly. We dart the University's tuition for being so costly.

UNITED FOR A CURE

Eric LeGrand, a former Rutgers football player, now serves as an inspirational voice for those who are suffering from paralysis. His organization, "Team LeGrand of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation," gives rehabilitation and recovery services for those with paralysis. LeGrand, who was diagnosed with paralysis after a career-ending spinal cord injury, has collected around $750,000 to help find a cure and improve the lives of people with spinal cord injuries. We laurel LeGrand for being a positive influence for those who suffer from paralysis.

WILD GOOSE CHASE

Rutgers University has had a reoccurring problem of wild geese infesting areas around Nichols and Richardson residence halls on Busch campus. This has lead administrators to hire a company, Geese Rangers, to use Border Collies to chase away geese. These Geese Rangers will visit the campus twice a day to allow the dogs to chase away geese. We dart the geese for being a nuisance to the University.

CARE FOR ALL

Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital's (RWJUH) Somerset Family Practice is introducing PROUD Family Health, making it the first hospital in New Jersey to offer specialized primary care services for the LGBTQIA community. This includes a range of services from preventive care to hormone therapy. We laurel RWJUH for creating an atmosphere where the LGBTQIA community's medical needs will be catered to.

NEW BRUNSWICK IS NOT A SANCTUARY

Jennifer Bradshaw, New Brunswick's public information officer, has stated in an email to The Daily Targum that New Brunswick is not a "sanctuary city." The New Brunswick Police Department follows policies set by the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office when considering investigations by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). We dart New Brunswick for not standing in solidarity with, or assisting, undocumented residents of the city.