Beers, wine or cocktails? U. bar scene has you covered

ibdrinksdimitri

There is a widely observed magical period of the day after work and school known as happy hour, where the price of drinks and food are slashed and the worn out masses can get sloshed instead of their wallets.

New Brunswick in all its scarlet spirit and liveliness has some great ways to do happy hour and researching the best there is to offer has been a blast.

Consider this your guide to the best happy hour specials that are near and around Rutgers mostly on and around Easton Avenue or George Street. This is your go to guide for wining and dining throughout the monotony of the week.

There are some amazing deals out there and several bars and restaurants have different specials for each day of the week.

Easton Avenue

A hidden gem I discovered was in the various specials Barca City Cafe and Bar has every day for happy hour both during the day and late at night.

On Mondays from 3 to 7 p.m. then from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. you can get what they call bocadillo sandwiches, ranging in 50 different selections in several discounted bundle options starting at 7 for $15.

Bocadillo is the Spanish name they give for what are essentially sliders ranging in all different kind of meat, seafood, cheese and vegetarian options for $2.25 each regularly.

You can also pair your sandwiches with $4 Spanish wine and or $4 mixed drink. In fact, you can get $4 mixed drinks Monday, and Wednesday through Saturday.

On Sundays, they have $20 crafted Sangria pitchers in red or white wine all day long, as well as all-you-can-eat mussels for $15. On Wednesdays you can get whole wine bottles for $20 and 20 percent off your food bill with a Rutgers University, Robert Wood Johnson or Saint Peters Hospital ID.

Barca City's Taco Tuesdays include some of the best specials I’ve heard of around New Brunswick. For $4 you can get one taco and a draft beer, which is usually Yuengling or Heineken. You can also get $4 margaritas, $5 patron shots and Dos Equis Buckets in 3 or 5 that include either 3 Dos Equis bottles with 3 tequila shots for $20 or 5 Dos Equis bottles with $5 tequila shots for $30.

To add to your liquor-inspired choice making, there’s also Evelyn’s Restaurant, the Mediterranean counterpart to Barca. Its outdoor bar and patio space light up the night, and with a live DJ in the summer, its atmosphere can seldom be matched.

Evelyn’s has a similar happy hour Monday through Friday, 4 to 7 p.m. It has $3 Miller Lites, Coors Lights and Bud Lights. They also have $4 well drinks at its outdoor and indoor bar.

Stuff Yer Face is known by many Rutgers students for its giant fishbowls, signature Stromboli sandwiches and its great outdoor bar space as well as its varied crafted beer selection.

Stuff has happy hour Monday through Friday from 4 to 7 p.m., and its menu includes $2 pints and bottles of Miller Lite, Coors Light, and Bud Light. Not to mention $1 off all mixed drinks, drafts, bottles and appetizers.

On Easton Avenue between Albany and Somerset streets, Brother Jimmy’s BBQ is a great spot if you're a fan of ribs, wings and football.

Brother Jimmy’s has different and fantastic specials every day in great variety. A notable special is the restaurant's Saturday specials from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. featuring $0.50 wings and $3 Coors Light Drafts. Then from 6 p.m. to close, it sells $5 Jack Daniels Honey, Black and Fire Shots.

Brother Jimmy's also holds Football Night specials on Thursday, Monday and Sunday NFL nights with varying all-you-can-eat specials on ribs, wings, fries and discounted beer.

George Street

A treasure of daily happy hour specials comes from the Garden State Ale House on George Street. Every day is a different theme of specials: All that on top of its $5 happy hour menu Monday through Friday from 3 to 7 p.m. The happy hour menu has $5 apps and drinks and runs from 10 p.m. to close Sundays through Thursdays.

At the Garden State Ale House, Mondays are Irish Mondays with discounts on select whiskeys and food. Tuesdays are Taco Tuesdays, of course, Wednesdays are known as Steak and Wine Wednesdays, and Thursdays are all about Rutgers students, giving them 20 percent off food until 10 p.m. and 50 percent off drinks after 10 p.m.

Fridays are all about the ladies at the Ale House — they’re known as Foxy Fridays. On Foxy Friday you can get $5 select martinis, $4 Blue Moon pints and $4 hard cider pints.

Fridays are followed with Scotch Saturdays with discounted scotch, bourbon and whiskey. Then we hit Sangria Sunday with $6 glasses and $22 pitchers.

Around the George Street area, Old Bay has tons of events with live music and a patio that brings a New Orleans vibe to New Jersey. Its happy hour menu includes 25 percent off all drinks, snacks and sandwiches at the bar from Tuesday to Friday 4 to 7 p.m. and all day on Mondays.

Tumulty’s is one of Rutgers' most historic and famous pubs. If you ask most older alumni where they went during their times as Scarlet Knights, they’ll tell you their stories from Tumulty’s. The newly redone Tumulty’s has happy hour on Wednesdays from 4 p.m. to close featuring $5 craft beers and half-price select apps.

Harvest Moon Brewery & Cafe has its happy hour Monday through Friday from 3 to 7 p.m. featuring $1 off all cocktails, beers and wine. It also has half-price flat bread sandwiches and select apps.

There you have the go-to guide for happy hour celebrating around Rutgers. There are even more not mentioned here on Route 1 or 18 at franchises like Houlihan's Restaurant and Bar, On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina, Buffalo Wild Wings or TGI Fridays Restaurant & Bar.

Though that being said this is your guide to TGOTO, which means Thank God It's Three O’clock.

Brielle Diskin