March Munchies: Top seeds fall as field narrows to Final Four

screen_shot_20170329_at_21759_am

Four weeks into #MarchMunchies and there are just as many teams remaining in the field. Following another weekend of voting, the Elite Eight became the Final Four, making PJ's Pizza, RU Hungry?, Destination Dogs and Hansel 'n Griddle each regional champions and another step toward winning the title.

Here are the full results:

ELITE EIGHT:

Busch Campus:

No. 2 PJ’s Pizza 498 (484 Targum Poll + 14 Twitter Poll) defeated No.1 Stuff Yer Face 231 (188 + 43)

College Avenue Campus:

No. 1 RU Hungry? 237 votes (205 + 32) defeated No. 3 Wings Over Rutgers 153 votes (131 + 22)

Cook/Douglass Campus:

No. 2 Destination Dogs 250 (233 + 17) defeated No. 1 Tacoria 131 (104 + 27)

Livingston Campus:

No. 1 Hansel 'n Griddle 354 (310 + 44) defeated No. 2 Diesel & Duke 80 (67 + 13)

Perhaps the most surprising result was on the Cook/Douglass Campus, where tournament favorite and top overall seed Tacoria was defeated by Destination Dogs. 

Tacoria, which celebrated its first anniversary just more than a month ago, has been the hottest lunch spot in New Brunswick since its opening on Easton Avenue. It quickly built its name as the best Mexican food place in the area, as evidenced by it being the only of its kind to reach the Elite Eight.

But the new kid on the block was defeated by a veteran in Destination Dogs, a staple in New Brunswick cuisine that’s become known for its large, flavorful hot dogs. 

The key to the upset, like every other matchup in the competition, comes in winning the poll on The Daily Targum website — Tacoria won the battle on Twitter, but the margin of victory from Destination Dogs on the website was too great to overcome.

The same situation unfolded on Busch Campus, when the most iconic eatery in New Brunswick Stuff Yer Face was upset by late-night pizza favorite PJ’s, which got the most votes by one restaurant in a single round through the first three rounds of #MarchMunchies.

Stuff dominated on Twitter, defeating PJ’s 43-14 in the poll, but was dominated on The Daily Targum website poll, losing the battle by a hefty margin of 484-231.

The College Avenue and Livingston Campus Regionals were chalk in comparison, with top seeds RU Hungry? and Hansel 'n Griddle advancing past No. 3 Wings Over Rutgers and No. 2 Diesel & Duke, respectively.

It sets up a Final Four with a pair of No. 1 v. No. 2 matchups.

The left side of the bracket sees a matchup between two beloved late-night drunken eateries in PJ’s Pizza and Hansel 'n Griddle. The other side sees the most iconic drunk food in New Jersey, if not all American college towns, in RU Hungry?’s fat sandwiches taking on Destination Dogs, where the drinking is encouraged to occur while eating their esteemed dogs.

With the way the Elite Eight shook out, it’s anyone’s guess which two restaurants will meet in a highly anticipated New Brunswick championship days after the National Championship in college basketball’s #MarchMadness is done and over with. The only certainty is the choices to be made will be agonizing for the voters.

As always, polls open Thursday at noon and will close Sunday at 11:59. For the penultimate time, make your voice heard and support your favorite restaurant.

March Munchies is a single-elimination tournament between 32 restaurants in the Rutgers/New Brunswick area decided by votes from the community. Polls are open Thursday through Sunday throughout the entire month of March, each week representing a different round in the tournament.

Make sure to follow us @Daily_Targum on Twitter and check our voting page frequently to stay up to date on every round and voting opportunity.

Brian Fonseca