Rutgers dominates Iona, 12-3, in midweek contest

p10ncikmateradimitri217

Sophomore catcher Nick Matera led the 13-hit offense on Wednesday, going 3-for-6 with four runs batted in (RBI).

Thanks to some solid pitching backed by a nice all-around offensive performance, the Rutgers baseball team defeated Iona by a score of 12-3 Wednesday afternoon at Flowers Park in New Rochelle, New York.

The Scarlet Knights (4-7) wasted little time to get on the board, scoring 2 runs in the second and one in the third. Iona would respond in each half inning, though, with runs of its own and Rutgers went into the fourth inning leading 3-2.

After a scoreless fourth from both teams, the floodgates would open for the Knights. Rutgers would go on to push 3 runs across the plate in the fifth, sixth and ninth innings — thanks in part to 10 walks issued on the day by the Gaels' pitching staff.

All but one starter reached base safely, while three Knights — junior third baseman Milo Freeman, sophomore left fielder Luke Bowerbank and sophomore catcher Nick Matera — had multiple hits, with Matera leading the 13-hit parade going 3-for-6 with four runs batted in (RBI).

On the mound, senior Christian Campbell started the game and went three innings, but could have went a lot more. Campbell allowed 2 runs, one earned, on four hits while striking out six batters. Senior Gaby Rosa (1-0) got the win going four innings, only allowing a hit and a walk. Head coach Joe Litterio said earlier in the week that he plans on using both Campbell and Rosa during this upcoming weekend series, which explains the short outings from both of them.

Senior Ryan Fleming pitched the eighth inning and fifth-year senior Max Herrmann finished things off with a perfect ninth by striking out the side.

Rutgers has now scored 46 of its 65 runs in games it has won, outscoring its opponent 46 to 16 in those games.

After another day of practice, Rutgers will head to Jacksonville, Florida where it will play a four-game weekend series against North Florida.

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Robert Sanchez