No. 10 Rutgers falls to No. 13 Johns Hopkins, 12-6

p10edelmanndimitri

On a cold, rainy night in Baltimore, Maryland, the Rutgers men's lacrosse team ran into one of the hottest players -- and teams in the country. The No. 10 Scarlet Knights (8-2. 0-1) went head to head with No. 13 John Hopkins (6-3, 1-0) and walked away with a 12-6 loss.

Junior goalkeeper Max Edlemann played as well as one can when giving up 12 goals, but Jays keeper Brock Turnbaugh was that much better, saving 12 shots to his 6 goals allowed for a save percentage of 66.7 percent.

The defense was not terrible either, as the hosts turned the ball over 15 times -- 6 over their season average going into the game -- nine of which were cause by Rutgers. But the trademarked "RTempo" was nowhere to be found, as the Knights failed to turn those opportunities into goals.

Johns Hopkins also rode the wave of attacker Kyle Marr -- coming off a 6-goal effort against Virginia -- who put in 5 goals, giving him a ridiculous 11 goals in his last two games. Star attacker Shack Stanwick also put in 4 goals and dished out two assists for the Jays.

The difference was as simple as getting off shots, as Hopkins had 41 to Rutgers' just 27. The Knights had trouble at the faceoff X, using three different players to combine for a 41 percent mark, which led to the hosts dominating possession early in the game and wearing down the Rutgers defense.

For the Knights, senior attacker Connor Murphy was the only player able to produce on offense, as he had a hat trick to lead the way in a lackluster offensive effort. Freshman Kieran Mullins had just 1 goal and 2 assists, and while not an awful statline, it ended his streak of five straight hat tricks. 

Junior attacker Jules Heningburg was completely neutralized by the Hopkins defense, tallying just one assist and for the most part being taken out of the game by the Jays' long poles.

The loss now puts Rutgers on a two-game losing streak and with just four regular season games remaining, there will be little to no room for error.

The sloppy turnovers by the Knights could certainly be attributed to the cold temperatures and persistent rain, but with Hopkins going 19-20 on clears and Rutgers going just 15-21, there appears to be room for improvement for the Knights.

And while Rutgers has ranked last in the Big Ten in shot percentage, its 33 percent mark on the night is one that when kept consistent is a top-10 shot efficiency. But with just 18 shots on net, nearly no shot percentage will be good enough to win games in what is proving to be a very tough Big Ten conference.

The Knights are back in action next Saturday morning as they take on No. 19 Michigan on the road for their second conference game on the season.

For updates on the Rutgers men's lacrosse team, follow @griffinwhitmer and @TargumSports on Twitter

Griffin Whitmer