Rutgers men continue outdoor season with Colonial Relays

backmirabelli416dt

The Rutgers men’s track and field team will have its sights set on something more than its second place finish at last year's Colonial Relays.

The Scarlet Knights will be returning to Williamsburg, Virginia this weekend for the meet, with a handful of wins and new personal records made at the University of South Florida (USF) Bulls Invitational, including senior Kyle Holder’s successful 2017 hurdle debut and sophomore Jairus Paul’s personal record break in the triple jump. With an impressive open to their outdoor season, the Knights are heading back to William & Mary’s Zable Stadium hoping to continue their streak of success.

The team, both runners and fielders, has focused on very technical aspects such as perfecting minuscule skills and testing out different relay teams for the 4x400-meter hurdle relay in order to optimize their performances for the future.

Junior javelin thrower Christopher Mirabelli spoke about his practice this past week.

“I’ve been having some trouble keeping my arm up with the javelin, so I’ve been working on very certain and technical things. I’m working on my runway as well, which will improve my performance too,” he said.

Mirabelli already presented a strong javelin performance during the USF Bulls Invitational, where he took the spotlight as he finished first with a distance of 73.64-meters with his javelin teammate Thomas Carr alongside finishing in second at 70.880-meters.

Regardless, he still acknowledges the room for improvement and is continuing to attend to his coach’s specific critiques.

“Between Tom Carr and I, we are going into the meet together. Him and I are just working on improving each week and getting up to nationals,” Mirabelli said.

Sophomore sprinter Izaiah Brown has not yet recovered 100 percent, but will still be traveling with the team as a main source of support and as a potential alternate.

Senior sprinter Jermaine Griffith has already concluded his college track and field career after the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Indoor Championships where he fulfilled his goals and earned First Team All-America status. He too, will be traveling and supporting the team.

The sprint and long distance races will take place on Day 1, Friday, March 31, relays on Day 2, field events on both days and final event conclusions on Day 3, Sunday, April 2.

The Colonial Relays represent one of the smaller meets of the season with fewer schools and athletes competing, but the Knights are not planning on taking that for granted, but instead using it as a stepping stone towards improvement.

“It is a small meet, not too big of anything. We’re going to treat it like another good session, another practice," Mirabelli said. "Here, we can work on technical drills, focus a lot on our techniques and prepare ourselves for the bigger meets."

For updates on the Rutgers tennis team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Libby Hur