Rutgers opens outdoor season with number of top performances

The Rutgers women’s track and field team returned to action last weekend at the Bulls Invitational at the University of South Florida (USF) Track Stadium in Tampa, Florida to start off the outdoor portion of its 2017 campaign.

The Scarlet Knights captured the 200-meter relay title and saw 17 top-10 efforts throughout the duration of the Invitational.

Junior Bria Saunders led Rutgers in taking first place in the 200-meter with a time of 23.89. Saunders had a productive introduction to the outdoor season, as she also placed fourth overall in the 100-meter (11.99) and participated in the 4x100-meter relay.

The Knights also saw a trio of second-place performances over the weekend in Tampa.

In her first career 1500-meter effort, graduate athlete Paige Senatore finished runner-up with a time of 4:37.38.

Sophomore Phyllis Gordon earned second overall in the 400-meter with a time of 56.52.

Senior Katherine Johnston led Rutgers in field competition with a second-place distance of 43.26 meters in the javelin throw.

The Knights saw additional distinguished track performances by several different athletes.

Gordon, together with Saunders, sophomore Nabiya Garrett, and junior Imani Beauliere placed fifth overall in the 4x100-meter relay with a time of 46.92.

Senior Sarah Robbie took fifth overall behind Gordon in the 400-meter with a time of 57.46

Robbie also participated in the 4x400-meter relay alongside sophomores Jenna Sobieski and Nabiya Garrett, and junior Sabrina Alexander — the squad took fifth place with a time of 3:55.18.

Junior Alexandra Juzwiak placed fifth in the 5000-meter with a time of 18:15.19.

Other notable field results included four top-10 performances for Rutgers.

In her first appearance for the Knights, freshman Alison Chomsky took fourth overall in the javelin throw with a distance of 40.47 meters.

Junior Oksana Sokolova took fifth place in the long jump with a distance of 5.41 meters. Sokolova also placed tenth overall in the 200-meter (25.34).

Sophomore Cameron Daniels placed sixth overall in the shot put event with a distance of 12.97 meters.

The outdoor campaign will continue for Rutgers late next week at the Colonial Relays in Williamsburg, Virginia starting Thursday, March 30.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton