In cold Canada, warm up with local drinks, dishes in bar scene

ibcanadakatie
Photo by Katie Moretti |

Spring break can be a week-long period notorious for debauchery and wild behavior. While fellow Rutgers students were in warm, tropical places like Cancun or Florida, I bravely drove six hours north to freeze in Montreal, Canada — and I don’t regret a thing, except for my frost-bitten toes and wind-burned face.

Montreal, it turns out, has a lot of options to offer a college student looking to destress from the first half of spring semester.  This city has a great selection of bars, pubs and clubs, and with a drinking age of 18, Montreal is a solid choice for anyone wanting to sit through the six-hour trek up I-87.

Ready to plan your Spring Break 2018 trip? Here are a few places I recommend as you trek through the cold.

McKibbins Irish Pub

Since RU’s spring break generally coincides with St. Patrick’s Day, McKibbins is a must-see. The pub starts bright and early on March 17 with a $15 St. Paddy’s Day breakfast and Irish coffee, and the drinking continues all day, with various bands and performances throughout the afternoon and into the night. If you’re looking for the perfect place to hang out and have a beautiful pint of Guinness, McKibbins is the place to go.

Suite 701

If you are looking for a chic, Instagram-worthy brunch spot, look no further than Suite 701. Huge windows, lounge seats, a relaxed atmosphere and absolutely amazing food — what else can you want? Located around the corner from the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal, Suite 701 is the perfect place to sip mimosas or bloody caesars before braving the cold and sight-seeing around Old Montreal.

Le Saint-Bock

Offering quite possibly the best caesar salad I’ve ever had, Le Saint-Bock is a great place to stop for not only a great selection of beer, but some killer drunk-food. If you’re not into eating a caesar salad when you’re belligerent, Le Saint-Bock offers other dishes including mac and cheese with beer, signature burgers and of course poutine.

Thursday’s

Feeling homesick and missing classic New Brunswick frat parties? Look no further than Thursday’s to get your fill of belligerent, almost pathetic, frat-party-like behavior. While this may sound like a place you don’t want to visit, you can’t go wrong with discounted drinks on Ladies’ Night. If you’re looking for something a little more high-key than relaxed bars and pubs, this club is the place to be. 

Katherine Moretti