UK architecture sets historic, beautiful backdrop for spring trip

ibukwikimediacommons
Photo by WIKIMEDIA COMMONS |

For my spring break it was all castles, royalty and historic architecture that framed the trip and made the backdrop of my across the pond adventure in the United Kingdom.

I spent the week in Edinburgh, Scotland and London, England where I came across some of the world's oldest architecture and history. Walking around these two famous but different cities is like living in a history textbook.

I was able to walk through the Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland, where the queen lives for a week every year, and I saw where kings and queens and other royals from thousands of years ago lived.

When leaving the Holyrood Palace I walked the Royal Mile and saw structures built more than a thousand of years ago. It's a truly historic site and now also the most visited tourist spot of Edinburgh. The walk ends at The Castle of Edinburgh, which in the 17th century was used as military barracks.

From the breathtaking Scottish castles it is only an hour long plane ride to London, one of the most fast-paced cities in the world. Home to some of the oldest buildings and churches in the world like Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and the House of Parliament — the architecture here dates back to before 900 B.C.

Even though America has some beautiful buildings that hold incredible history, it is impossible to compare to the stunning views in London.

Churches in America are beautiful, such as St. Paul's Cathedral in New York City, but the minute I stepped foot into Westminster Abbey it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. The Abbey has been the coronation church since 1066 and is the burial site for 17 monarchs, and most recently was the wedding ceremony location for Prince William and Kate Middleton. It stands in the city like a physical history lesson.

These buildings now lay within the new hustle and bustle of modern 21st Century life but still manage to radiate with the elegance and charm of their beautiful architecture.

If you have never visited Scotland or England, go right now and buy your plane ticket— once you get to the United Kingdom it will open your eyes to a world beyond anything you can find in the U.S.

And when you are there, soak up being a tourist because the sights are worth the walking and the architecture’s beauty will forever be embedded into your mind.

Morgan Rue