Baauer brings energy to new heights at 'Beats on the Banks'

Photos By Jeffrey Gomez / Photo Editor 

Last Friday night, RUPA’s Beats on the Banks set a new standard for high energy. Electric dance music (EDM) artists 3LAU and Baauer performed at the College Avenue Gymnasium for a near-sold out show, getting students on their feet and heads out of books for a night of techno-tranced drum and bass.

Baauer is best known for his 2013 hit “Harlem Shake,” a track that went virtual with homemade music videos. The song encouraged a burst of energy in these home videos when the beat drops, and when Baauer closed the show with the post-disco dance-mix four years later it got the same response.

The earth beneath The Barn was still shaking after Baauer’s set from the incessant jumping, cheering and of course, dancing. The Barn’s usual hardwood, volleyball court floors turned into a disco-tech floor, used for splits instead of spikes. The gym’s energy was palpable, the beat drops reliable and the crowd response overwhelmingly positive.

Baauer’s performance ignited the crowd with a fire fueled by his own love for music. He’s been mixing house music since he was 13 years old, and before using the name Baauer, he released music under the name Capitan Harry.

Baauer’s been releasing music since 2011 and his latest album Aa was released just more than a year ago under LuckyMe Records. Aa featured singles “Day Ones” and “Temples.”

His high-octane set on the Banks was preceded by 3LAU and a student performer, all of whom built up the excitement in The Barn to heights unmatched by any usual College Avenue Friday night.

Brittany Gibson