March Munchies: Hansel n' Griddle claims first ever title

mmfinal
Photo by ​Mike Makmur |

After six weeks, five rounds of competition, thousands of votes and more calories than anyone could possibly count, March Munchies has narrowed its field from 32 restaurants to the final one standing.

A tight battle between Hansel 'n Griddle and Destination Dogs in the competition’s final weekend determined its first-ever winner over the weekend.

Following four days of back-and-forth between the voters on polls both on the Daily Targum website and its Twitter account, the votes have been tallied and the results are in.

Your first ever March Munchies champion is … Hansel 'n Griddle.

The eatery garnered 614 votes — 567 from the poll on the Daily Targum’s website and 47 on the Twitter poll — defeating fellow finalist Destination Dogs.

The home of the best hot dogs in New Brunswick took an early lead Thursday in both polls, but an onrush of voters for its opponent over the weekend buried it. Destination Dogs would finish with 231 votes — 204 on the website poll, 27 on the Twitter poll.

Both finalists fought through a difficult path to get to the New Brunswick championship round.

Despite being a No. 1 seed in the Busch bracket, Hansel had to defeat KBG in the Sweet 16, Diesel & Duke in the Elite Eight and PJ’s pizzeria in the Final Four, all extremely popular among the Rutgers student body.

Meanwhile, two-seeded Destination Dogs defeated the king of New Brunswick happy hour Olive Branch before upsetting Tacoria, the top seed of the Cook/Douglass bracket, in the Elite Eight, before pulling off an even bigger upset against perhaps the most well-known Rutgers eatery in RU Hungry?

In the end, only one restaurant out of the initial 32 could emerge out of March Munchies victorious. In the competition’s first year, a classic spot good at any time of the day — whether it be lumberjack omelets for breakfast, a popcorn buffalo chicken crisp for lunch, a bacon cheddar burger for dinner or a banana flip for a late-night snack — Hansel 'n Griddle came out on top.

Brian Fonseca