Rutgers wide receiver Ahmir Mitchell suffers torn ACL

onlinemitchellbrosjeffrey

Ahmir Mitchell (right) suffered a torn ACL in Saturday's practice.

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Ahmir Mitchell suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)  announced head coach Chris Ash on Tuesday.

Mitchell injured his knee during Saturday's practice — in which the Rutgers football team participated in its first scrimmage of the spring — and will undergo surgery. The Scarlet Knights expect him to return in time for the start of the season in the fall, as Rutgers' first game is at home against Washington on Sept. 1.

A standout in the first few weeks of spring camp, Mitchell joined the team last fall after transferring from Michigan but sat out the season due to NCAA transfer rules, making the upcoming 2017 season his first year of eligibility on the Banks.

With the limited activity of wide receivers Janarion Grant and Jawuan Harris, Mitchell — along with his brother at the same position, fifth-year senior Damon Mitchell — was listed as a starter on the offensive depth chart released last week.

Though Harris' limited time on the gridiron this spring is due to the baseball season in full swing, Grant is still recovering from a broken ankle he suffered against Iowa last September, which leaves Ahmir's brother Damon and sophomore Dacoven Bailey to shoulder much of the receiving burden this spring and assert themselves into the fold as the fall comes around.

While Mitchell, like Grant, is expected by the team to recover by the time the season rolls around, the injury hurts a position for the Knights already ravaged by depth issues.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @jon_spilletti on Twitter.

Jon Spilletti