Rutgers visits Lafayette in non-conference contest

johnoreillydt415

After not playing for six days, the Rutgers baseball team returns to action Tuesday for a 3:35 p.m. midweek matchup against Lafayette in Easton, Pennsylvania.

Due to inclement weather, the Scarlet Knights (10-18, 0-3) did not travel to Minnesota over the weekend to take on the Golden Gophers. Instead, Rutgers stayed home, practiced and took some time off.

Before the flight got cancelled, the Knights were on a four-game losing streak with their most recent loss coming against Villanova last Wednesday. Rutgers hopes the time off can help them get back on track — and Lafayette is a good place to start. Owners of only three wins all season, the Leopards (3-31) are currently riding an eight-game losing streak and are in last place in the Patriot League.

For the Knights, the six days without a game can prove to be helpful. After a rough loss to a struggling Villanova team, Rutgers looked to be in a bit of a funk. During its current losing streak, the Knights scored only five times and committed nine errors. Taking their minds off of baseball for a couple days should do the team some good — especially a relatively young team.

Junior right-handed pitcher John O’Reilly (1-5, 6.05 ERA) who was slated to go on Sunday in the series finale in Minnesota is scheduled to pitch against Lafayette. Senior Gaby Rosa and sophomore Serafino Brito who were also ready to go over the weekend will have to wait for next weekend. Senior Christian Campbell, who started the last game Rutgers played on April 5, will most likely join them for the weekend series against Purdue at Bainton Field.

The Knights are undefeated in their last 21 matchups against Lafayette. The only blemish came in 2015 when the game ended in a 3-3 tie in 12 innings because of darkness. Dating back to 1946, however, Rutgers leads the series 70-29-1.

The Leopards will counter with righty Brian Lannino (0-2, 10.89 ERA). As a staff, Lafayette owns a 7.78 ERA.

The Knights have only played Seton Hall (111 games) more times than Lafayette in their program history.

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter

Robert Sanchez