Groden puts forth best Regionals performance of career

backlibbydimitri217

Junior Libby Groden's performance just keeps getting better and better. The all-arounder continued to impress this season as she scored a 39.050 at her third NCAA Regionals as a member of the Rutgers gymnastics team.

Her final score continued the upward trend from both of her scores she received at the competition two years prior and last year when she scored a 38.850 as a freshman and a 39.025 as a sophomore.

“It was a pretty good meet,” Groden said. “I had a few mistakes, but came out with a good all-around score anyway.”

After a bye week to start the competition, Groden scored a 9.775 on the uneven bars and then a 9.700 on balance beam. With a second bye week in between her next events, Groden had a chance to rest for a bit.

Groden came out of the bye and hit her strongest routine of the night on floor scoring a 9.825. She finished her performance with a 9.750 on vault.

“Libby had a really good competition,” said head coach Louis Levine. “She hit all four routines and really put on her best show for the crowd. It was a great way to conclude the season.”

Of her 52 routines on the year, Groden scored at least a 9.700 on 41 of them — including all four on Saturday. Her 39.050 was just shy of her career high of 39.075 she set earlier this year and was the ninth time in her three-year career she achieved the 39.000 all-around mark.

Groden finished in ninth place out of 15 all-around competitors. After a restful and deserved offseason, Groden will come back for her senior season looking to improve and help her team as best as she can.

For now, this meet should stick with her until that time comes.

“It was a great end to my junior season with hitting every event,” Groden said.

For updates on the Rutgers gymnastics team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Robert Sanchez