Rutgers improves one spot from last year at Princeton Invitational, taking 6th place

p11pedrodt915

The Rutgers men’s golf team captured a tie for sixth place at the Princeton Invitational held at the Springdale Golf Club on Sunday afternoon. Leading the Scarlet Knights was junior team captain Toks Pedro, who tied for the eighth spot against 74 other golfers from 13 other schools.

Rutgers' five-man contingent scored a 23-over-par 875 (294-293-288) over three rounds of the two-day invitational. Seton Hall won the team title in one-over-par 853 (296-281-276) with Harvard and host Princeton trailing behind to close out the top three teams in second and third place respectively.

At last year’s Princeton Invite, the Knights finished seventh overall with a final score one-under-par 283. In the two rounds of play, Pedro had 23 pars, six birdies and one eagle. On the last round, Pedro collected a score two-under-par 69 to pull ahead and tie for ninth place in the individual standings.

Last time out, Rutgers traveled to Wilmington, North Carolina for the Seahawk Intercollegiate at the Country Club of Landfall from March 19 to March 20. Although finishing ninth in the team standings, head coach Rob Shutte said he was proud of the Knights’ gritty performance due to the severe windy conditions that made for a very strenuous course. Placing in the top three positions for Rutgers was Pedro who tied for third place with a three-round score of 215 (73-69-73).

After the Seahawk Intercollegiate, the Knights had a few weeks to brush up on technique to prepare for the Princeton Invitational and from its showing this past weekend, Rutgers has stepped up its game heading into the back half of the season.

Compared to last year’s seventh place finish, the Knights finished one place higher than a year ago. Additionally, Pedro was able to place one spot higher than last year’s ninthplace finish with 32 pars and 11 birdies. The Lagos, Nigeria native began the invitational tied for seventh with a one-over-par 143 (71-72) after the first two rounds, collecting eight birdies. But Pedro failed to hold onto seventh and closed out in the eighth spot with a three-round score of three-over-par 216 (71-72-73).

Close behind Pedro was freshman Adam Gray who finished just outside the top ten with a final score of 217 (71-73-73). On the first two rounds of play, Gray scored an eagle and 23 pars for a two-round score of 144, placing him in 10th position. Not able to stay in the top ten, Gray dropped one spot to finish 11th individually.

Following Pedro and Gray, junior team captain Matt Holuta and Gray sat in 30th and 40th respectively after the first two rounds on Saturday but came back fighting to climb back up and tie for 26th position. With a final three-round score of 221, Jiang scored 77-74-70 and Holuta scored 75-74-72.

Sophomore Matthew Mourin completed the Knights score with a 72nd place finish.

This weekend, Rutgers travels to University Park, Pennsylvania where the Knights will compete at the Rutherford Intercollegiate, hosted by Penn State from April 15 to April 16.

For updates on the Rutgers men's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba