Rutgers takes ninth at Rutherford Intercollegiate in State College

p10holutadt915

The Rutgers men’s golf team stumbled last weekend as the Scarlet Knights finished ninth at the Rutherford Intercollegiate on Sunday, hosted by Penn State at the Blue Course in State College. 

Rutgers concluded with a final score of 41-over-par 893 (297-293-303), significantly lower than last year’s score at the same tournament.

Host Penn State and Georgetown tied for first in the team standings with a total score of 16-over-par. Rounding out third place was Oakland with a score of 24-over-par, just edging out another tie for fourth between Eastern Michigan and Seton Hall at 27-over-par.

At last year’s Rutherford Intercollegiate Tournament, Rutgers finished fifth with a final score of 12-over-par 864 (289-287-288). Junior team captains Toks Pedro and Matt Holuta led the Knights with ties for 19th and 22nd place, respectively.

Last time out, Rutgers tied for sixth at the Princeton Invitational held by Princeton at the Springdale Golf Club. Pedro led the Knights by cracking into the top eight to tie for eighth with 216 (71-72-73) while freshman Adam Gray tied for 11th with 217(71-73-73). Freshman Tony Jiang recorded the third lowest total score to tie for 26th with a total of 221 (77-74-70).

Leading Rutgers this time around was Jiang who took a big step in passing both Pedro and Gray to tie for 17th in the individual standings with a final score of 221 (75-72-74). On the first day, Jiang was tied for 22nd after the first two rounds but was able to pull ahead to finish 17th, collecting 36 birdies throughout the two-day invitational.

Close behind Jiang was Holuta with a final score of 223 (71-72-80). Holuta was within the top eight after the first day of the invitational after gathering 26 pars and five birdies but fell 20 places in the final round and finished in 27th place. He dropped five places compared to last year’s 22nd-place finish.

Senior Chase Wheatley finally got his chance to compete alongside his teammates for the first time this season to conclude the invitational tied for 35th with a total score of 225 (73-76-76). After the first two rounds, Wheatley was 34th and stayed consistent throughout the tournament, only dropping one spot in the final round.

Pedro and Gray, who both led the Knights to a sixth-place finish last week at the Princeton Invitational, did not do well this time around. They rounded out Rutgers to place 57th with a score of 230 (78-77-75) and 59th to the tune of 232 (81-73-78), respectively.

After a four-place drop in the team standings from last year’s finish, the hope is that the Knights can come back around this weekend. Rutgers will travel to Columbus, Ohio where the competition will continue to heat up at the Robert Kepler Intercollegiate, hosted by Ohio State from April 22 to 23.

For updates on the Rutgers men's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba